Did the item arrive by date

When looking at one of my purchased items the estimated arrival date was the 12th Aug. It arrived today.

I go into feedback and get asked did the item arrive by the 11th. So obviously this is programmed on American time a day behind. So in affect it is giving sellers one less day. If there are any strikes or penality to come in the future they had better look at programming in on Australian dates. Pretty poor effort ebay.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

It is indeed. I have not had that happen to me on any of my purchases. The date has always matched the listing estimate.

Did you buy from an American seller?

In any case, your item has, alas, arrived a couple of days over the estimate.

But in the scheme of life, a lot of buyers (not all, as we know, but most) are not going to be too worried by 24-48 hours extra, as long as they get the item.

Just out of interest, what did you tick-a yes or a no?

At the moment as long as it isn't causing trouble for a seller (and from what i have read it is not---- yet) then honesty might be the best policy so ebay don't get too cocky about their estimating abilities.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

I haven't left feedback yet for that item. I will say I am not concerned about a day or two late but as we all know there are some buyers that believe the estimated date on the listing is a deadline for arrival. Now if they look at the question in feedback and see The parcel is a day late when in fact it really isn't i would hate for sellers be penalised for something that isn't their fault.

As it stands we don't know why the question is there. Is it there so ebay can gauge if the estimated dates they give are out or does it impact the seller some how?

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

I have had several items with delivery dates over the weekend.....they arrive on Monday so I just say they arrived on time.

Frankly, I would never know the estiated arrival dates if it was not on the page where I am leaving feedback.  I never look and really don't care as long as things arrive in a reasonable time.

I can not understand buyers who get hung up on arrival dates...if they need something for a certain date then go to the shops and buy it, or allow plenty of time if it is to come in the mail.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

According to eBay reps on the US boards - the item arrived by date question on feedback page is to investigate the accuracy of the post time accuracy of the estimates eBay provides.

Personally whilst I don't believe in much of eBay spiel and double talk, but due to the wording of the question I am taking this question on face value  and answering honestly.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

thanks Cats, I think I will do the same I just wasn't sure if it was going to cause the seller any grief.
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

harley and cats et al, the vast majority of my parcels have come through under the time limit on that question, so I've answered as appropriately. 

It appears that some of my purchases don't have that question in the feedback response, not sure why...............

But I do wonder whether that question is likely to be another kick in the guts for sellers in the future, or if it really is eBay's way of making realistic quotes on arrival time.

The whole DSR thing on postage time is a load of frogsh!t anyway, it should never be gauged on AP's delivery time only the seller's post time.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

I had a buyer tick no, even though it arrived well before the estimate (arrived in rural Qld 2 days after posting in NSW). I can't say for sure if it had any impact on my account because she gave a defect for postage time (I posted within an hour of payment). Ebay removed that defect because they could see the tracking said it arrived well before the estimate and I had posted within an hour of payment.

I didn't know if it had any impact so when a few of my items arrived a week or 2 past the estimate (from overseas), I left it blank and just feedback and DSR's, The sellers posted when they said they did because the postage sticker showed the same day as the item was marked as posted. Therefore, I wasn't going to risk damaging their account for something they had no control over.

I've had a few recent ones that didn't have the box to tick.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

IMO, we would all be better off without the ETA rubbish that ebay go by. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO FLAWED...

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I was able to leave the question unanswered. Feel better now
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply