Difficulty Making Money

Hey all, I haven't been selling online for long, and i work for a local car dealership, I have been selling spare car parts online, and i have found alot of fees to go with it, some months we are losing money.

I dont own a store, its just a stand alone ebay selling page, I have not been given permission by owners to open a store. So I am sort of stuck in this dilemma where i am selling a heap of things, monthly and getting nothing out of it.

My fees for last month were around $800.

Can i please get some advice on what to do and how to cut this down dramatically.

Thanks

BBWSPARES

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Difficulty Making Money

With $800 for casual selling fees in a month, opening a store would be the best option to reduce fees, so before anything else I would seek whatever permissions necessary to try and get one active. Your multi-quantity listings must be costing you a small fortune - without a store, the insertion fee is $1.50 per item, so for a quantity of 10 priced at $50+, you'd be paying $15 for every 10 day listing - $45 a month, as opposed to 20c a month if you had a store. 

If you can't open a store under any circumstances, I would suggest you consider how many of those items are likely to sell in 10 days, and only list that quantity. (eg, if you sell one or two per 10 days, only make two or three available for each listing - it's pointless to pay to list a quantity that won't sell in ten days). 

There is very little else that can dramatically change your fee structure, aside from using several IDs to take advantage of 30 listings per month with 0 insertion fees (you still pay final value fees), but it's not really the ideal solution.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Difficulty Making Money

without a store, the insertion fee is $1.50 per item, 

Just to clarify, insertion fees are based on the start or BIN price of an item, 50c for items priced up to $19.99, $1.50 for items $20-$99.99, and $3.00 for $100+

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Difficulty Making Money

I have taken down 30 of my 50 items that aren't moving at all, i will see how this goes for one month and re-evaluate it after that.

Thanks for the comments, it does help to learn some more about it all.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Difficulty Making Money

thebarginfinder
Community Member

I sell car parts too, Its a mugs game, I sell bugger all even having some of my prices atleast half of every 1 else, People dont work on cars any more it seems, Its all to hard for people,Im taking the rest of my stock to the auction house on a pallet,

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Difficulty Making Money

I sell car parts too, Its a mugs game, I sell bugger all even having some of my prices atleast half of every 1 else, People dont work on cars any more it seems, Its all to hard for people,Im taking the rest of my stock to the auction house on a pallet,

I always check prices with my local aftermarket retailer and can often by cheaper than online.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Difficulty Making Money

Just a small comment.

You state, in your listing ...

A return will not be accepted if the item or packaging is damaged.

I wouldn't bid on anything you were selling because of that one little line.

It's your responsibility as the seller to make sure the item gets to it's destination undamaged. A buyer does not *have* to pay extra to be sure of that.

Doesn’t expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Difficulty Making Money

oopsie, thebargainfinder didn't write that quote .. the OP did.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Difficulty Making Money

Sorry, triple post!

I just realised that quote above is for items returned to you. A little hard to understand what you meant there.

This line ..

Barry Bourke Pty Ltd will not take responsibility for any loss, theft or damage to any items that are dispatched.

Is worse IMO.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Difficulty Making Money

I will have to go through and check my listings, as i said i am new to this, and all that description was made before i took over the page.

Are they the only changes i should make? reword or delete?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply