Dispute

Evening,

Hoping for some help.

I have had a buyer open a dispute in Paypal , not EBay.   The claim is that I sent the wrong size item.  I had the buyer send me a photo with the item next to a ruler and it is clearly the correct size.

Question is whether PayPal can see the conversation that was already had on EBay where I tried to offer solutions ?

Any other advice would be most appreciated as well.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Dispute

PayPal rarely consider private messages when deciding a dispute, but you can include screenshots of them for good measure and they will likely be taken into account, but unlikely to be enough on their own to win the case.

Does the item match the full listing description? This will help you more than anything else. 

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Dispute

Yes, the item is identical to description and photos on the listing.

Item comes in 4 sizes, and buyer is claiming wrong size was sent.   

I got the buyer to send a photo of item next to a tape measure and it is exactly the size ordered.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Dispute

Ok -  PayPal covers the buyer for items significantly not as described, and the word "significant" is actually, well, significant - slight variations to measurements should not count as significant in this case, if there are any variations between what is showing in your buyer's pic, and how the item was described. 

If the buyer's own photo (hopefully already uploaded to the dispute) shows that the item they received matches with the description for the size they purchased, this is what I would be pointing out via the dispute console,  with a typed message update plus screenshot of the relevant description info. I wouldn't include screenshots of messages unless the buyer indicated or admitted in their messages they bought the wrong size (meaning they are now just absuing the dispute option).

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

Dispute

Thank you for the advice..   

At this stage, the PayPal open case is still in the messaging phase between the Buyer and Myself,  they are yet to esclate..

Just keep messaging saying give me a refund..

Would it be advisable for me to esclate ?

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Dispute

Advisable to call PayPal.

They are very good over the phone and I am confident it will help your case.

image host
Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Dispute

I'd be communicating mostly for / to PayPal at this stage, while keeping to the dispute messaging system. Keep it short, bullet point style of communication by pointing out exactly what you want the PayPal reps (who may have to decide on the outcome) to know.

Stuff like, for example, "I have carefully examined the photo provided by [buyer], and would like to note that it confirms the size of the item received matches the size of the item purchased, due to the following reasons...", and then I would cross reference what is shown in the photo, to the relevant part of the description, and so on. 

Unfortunately PayPal are currently only offering an automated messaging system in place of their call centre at the moment, so it's unlikely you'd be able to talk to or with a CS rep directly to get their advice or guidance - I'm pretty sure it just scans your enquiry and spits back copy / pastes of whatever it thinks is the right policy or help page. 

(PS, this is all assuming you are not on board with having the item returned for a refund - you will most likely have an option to accept a return of the item to refund the buyer, but it would be 100% of their original payment, including postage, and you won't be refunded any of the fees paid to PayPal. If you would rather not agree to that, personally I would not escalate unless I thought it necessary and / or I was confident I had laid out my statements and evidence well, and that it would be almost guaranteed to be decided in my favour, which is quite difficult to be certain of. There may be a reason the buyer has not escalated (not confident of success), or they may not know they need to, but escalation is more for the buyer than it is for the seller without knowing how it will go (that is, for a buyer dealing with a seller who won't help, they get PayPal to decide one way or another, it's the only way they'll have a chance of getting what they're asking for. On the other hand, for a seller, nothing will happen, or be forced to happen if the case doesn't escalate, so the only thing escalating will do is have it over and done with one way or another more quickly, since there is a period of 20 days after a case is opened where it can be escalated. After that 20 days, though, it will just time out if not escalated). 

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

Dispute

I provided a full explaination that the claim is false along with numerous photos to support my claim.

Within about 20 seconds of submitting my response, the case was closed in favour of the buyer...

How could anyone have reviewed in that time ?

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

Dispute

It doesn't sound like anyone did 😞  Do you have an option to appeal?

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Dispute

@janlinac_41 wrote:

I provided a full explaination that the claim is false along with numerous photos to support my claim.

Within about 20 seconds of submitting my response, the case was closed in favour of the buyer...

How could anyone have reviewed in that time ?

That shouldn't have happened. I'm not surprised it ended that way, paypal are useless atm without phone  contact available, but the speed they did that has to be a mistake. Try messaging them. My experience with that wasn't great, they just didn't reply, but worth a try

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply