Do I have to send item in envelope to get the letter rate?

Hi,

I just start selling small item on ebay. I know the item need to be less than 20mm thickness to be ship as a letter to get the letter rate ($1-3), which is much cheaper than ship as a satchel rate ($7 +). Do I have to send item in envelope to get the letter rate?

For packaging, I found it much easier for me to put my good into satchel. And I can also get satchel which cheaper than envelope. Therefore I want to know, Can I pack my good in satchel, but keep it small, so the thickness is less than 20mm? Can I just pay letter rate for that?

Or the people in the post office or whoever handling it will just look at it and say it is a satchel, so I have to pay the satchel rate.

I hope there is someone can help or have done similar thing before, can tell us more information about it. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

No, you do not have to use an envelope to get letter rate - satchels are fine to use, and probably better because they offer rain protection.

The only rule is the size and the width.     The C5 prepaid envelopes are great value for small items as they can be up to 500g.

LETTERS

Prepaid C5 500g 229 x 162 x 20mm

(buy 50 at a time) up to 500g

in Jan 2017 $22.95)

$2.30

125g small 240 x 130 x  5MM

125g large 360 x 260 x 20mm

250g

500g

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

No, you do not have to use an envelope to get letter rate - satchels are fine to use, and probably better because they offer rain protection.

The only rule is the size and the width.     The C5 prepaid envelopes are great value for small items as they can be up to 500g.

LETTERS

Prepaid C5 500g 229 x 162 x 20mm

(buy 50 at a time) up to 500g

in Jan 2017 $22.95)

$2.30

125g small 240 x 130 x  5MM

125g large 360 x 260 x 20mm

250g

500g

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Correction:   Size, width and weight.

If you just use postage stamps you can just put them in the red box anyway - no need to be scrutinised by the PO staff.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I don't know what your items are but you can also get small thin cardboard mailing boxes that don't exceed the 20mm thickness. These also qualify as large letters.
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

You can also buy rigid boxes here on eBay that come in various sizes and are expressly designed to fit within the AP criteria for letters.  I buy them in two sizes, A4 and A5, flatpacked, 100 at a time and they work out at around 45-50c each.  Cheaper than padded envelopes and  most satchels, plus they offer a measure of crush protection.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

The tough envelopes that Australia Post sell are much cheaper if you purchase a box of 100. I buy them this way and save around 60% of the single item retail price.

As others have mentioned the card cartons that measure 16 mm. thick are also great for mailing light items. I buy these in sizes ranging from CD mailer size to A4 size and find them excellent. I purchase them off ebay from a company that has a name very similar to eb/packaging and can reccommend this seller. ( we are not allowed to specifically name sellers on the boards. )  I dont have any financial interest in this company. Just found them to be a very proffesional, reliable ebay seller.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I sell light items under 20mm thick and use A4 envelopes using the letter post postage which works out much cheaper than satchels.

In a lot of cases, I use the tough bags which can be purchased on eBay much cheaper too .....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Auspost-Tough-Bags-Postpak-/122373157684?var=&hash=item1c7e023334:m:meNzA...

I find these are really handy for items which are 'border line' thickness .... A/Post have never queried them.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I meant to say .....

I buy the TB2 which are $48 for 100   🙂

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Which works out at 48c for the envelope.

However, the OP is asking about using satchels.    

Say the OP has plenty of cardboard sheets  or simlar for packing - any cardboard will do, like cereal boxes for example.

You can buy poly satchels (mailers) for less than 15c each and just use cardboard fillers to protect your item.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I have enough satchels to last a lifetime lol. I bought a bulk lot just before the ebay satchels came out so I use those a lot for lettter post items. I don't bother with cardboard stiffeners I just put things in ziplock bags and sqish all the air out so they remain thin enough.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply