Do sellers have experience of buyers claiming items did not arrive when actually it is a scam?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Do sellers have experience of buyers claiming items did not arrive when actually it is a scam?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It does happen but you need to have some evidence that the buyer is lying before jumping to conclusions.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I am quite sure this has happened to a few sellers, but there's often not many ways to know for sure, even when the item was sent with tracking or Signature on Delivery (due to incorrect scanning events and sometimes delivery to the wrong place).

If a seller can prove that they sent an item, the buyer generally doesn't have any recourse against the seller for items not received, however regardless of anything else, I would investigate the situation as thoroughly as possible in the hope of turning up the package in case it's genuinely lost, or seek compensation from Australia Post (or however it was sent, and if compensation is made available), to reimburse the buyer. 

If a seller can't prove they sent an item, then chances are any claim that the buyer makes via PayPal (or similar), will be successful, whether they are telling the truth or not, but I would always do as much as possible to work with the buyer to resolve, and at the very least file a missing parcel report if sent with Aus Post, as at least then there's a chance for them to detect any patterns. 

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Yes โ€ฆ it is happening more often as buyers exploit the holes in PayPalโ€™s Buyers Protection .

Paypalโ€™s protection has holes big enough to fly planes through and the nanny pandered buyers are starting to exploit it .

My recent case: . Posted as a โ€œLarge Letterโ€, therefore no tracking and of medium value, so not worth a Signature on Delivery option

Posted the day of payment, with the details emailed to the buyer (expected delivery 2/3 days max)

On the third day, an email from the buyer โ€ฆ โ€œI am stressing out .. my item has not arrivedโ€ โ€ฆ โ€œI am really wanting my itemโ€

So I reply: โ€œPlease check your local PO, maybe it is thereโ€ . Half an hour later, โ€œno not thereโ€ โ€ฆ she must live next door to the PO

No Worries, I replied โ€ฆ I have a duplicate item .. I will send that with โ€œSignature Requiredโ€ โ€ฆ silence from the buyer โ€ฆ not even a thank you

Watching the tracking โ€ฆ it took her four days to collect it from the PO โ€ฆ this was for the item โ€ฆthat she was โ€œstressing out overโ€ and โ€œI am really wanting my itemโ€

Was I being scammed ?โ€ฆ who really knows โ€ฆ except the buyer, who maybe has two of the same item โ€ฆ but NO refund

Which under Paypalโ€™s scheme they were expecting

Ebay are breeding a generation of buyers whose rights far exceed normal consumer rights and obligations of sellers

This, I believe, is driving sellers away from the site (and if this is not the case, why are ebay now trying to lure sellers back with hundreds of โ€œfree listingsโ€

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

This is a very interesting topic.. I just have had a buyer who bought an Iten  Less that $10.00 He lives close buy and stated he doesnt want to pay postage. I tells him he can pick it up and gave him my address. He Pays through Paypal then informs me HIS Courier will pick it up.. I agreed but I am a bit worried I have copies of the messages he sent and a Photograph of the item with his name and address packed and ready to go. Where would I stand if he does not receive the item???

Paddy

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

As far as not received items go, this year I have had several missing parcels reported by buyers. All of them - including two that tracked as delivered - were caused through Australia Post inability to deliver articles in accordance with their stated commitments.
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

In the past 12 months I have had 10 emails stating รฏtem not received" Of those all eventually turned up apart from 3 and I do think that these were genuine. So in 12 months I have mailed around 3000 packages for 3 missing in action - perhaps scammers, but you'd never know. I self insure by adding 2 to 5 cents to every listing to cover time, re-packing and item, in the event items go missing.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I have had one customer in the last 3 years who did not receive their item and as it was sent as an unregistered large letter I just replaced, this time with registration. All but a few of my items are posted using click & send and I have had absolutely no claims of not received since the scheme started.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I am aware of a growing number of buyers who are exploiting the system,

I have had a false claim for damage with no pictures provide,

I have a friend who lost six items despite registered post on all of them

We currently have ten items that are still "in transit " dating back to May this year despite the fact six of them have been delivered by confirmation from the customer, and two that were claimed successfully through paypal despite us having ptoof of postage,

It is a minefield nowadays.

You need to put "DO NOT SAFE DROP " ON ALMOST EVERY PARCEL YOU SEND even registered items as we lost a registered post item as well.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@haolove13 wrote:

I am aware of a growing number of buyers who are exploiting the system,

I have had a false claim for damage with no pictures provide,

I have a friend who lost six items despite registered post on all of them

We currently have ten items that are still "in transit " dating back to May this year despite the fact six of them have been delivered by confirmation from the customer, and two that were claimed successfully through paypal despite us having ptoof of postage,

It is a minefield nowadays.

You need to put "DO NOT SAFE DROP " ON ALMOST EVERY PARCEL YOU SEND even registered items as we lost a registered post item as well.

Hardly exploiting the system then, are they? As for the rest I'm sure you are aware of how to deal with them, especially the ones where you have proof of postage.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply