Do you do 'free' postage or 'charged' postage?

Hi all,

Just wondering if you combine the postage in to the cost of your items and thus offer 'free postage' or if you charge postage for each item? It seems eBay like sellers to offer free postage which of course we all understand is never free, but it does seem to help sellers come up higher in search results.

But the down side is that items can look more expensive, especially when buying multiple items. On my main account I don't generally offer free postage as it varies by the item. However on another account that I have been trying to get going recently I have been offering 'free postage' more and more. However, I feel like I am ripping buyers off if they buy 3 items where the postage has been combined into the price. I also wonder if the buyers feel that each item is therefore more expensive. Any thoughts on this? 

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

A mix. Anything that goes as letters is 'free', everything else is added.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Thanks Dave. Same here, I currently offer both, but I never send by letter although I could as some of my items are thin enough. I just cannot deal with the hassle that could bring with no tracking, but understand others that do offer it. 

It just seems that 'free postage' has so many drawbacks, especially for buyers as they are essentially paying more overall. I actually feel a little guilty when a buyer purchases 3 items with 'free postage' as obviously it is not free and they have essentially paid 3 times the postage. 

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

A lot of sellers who list with free postage have the multiple purchase discount. 
buy 1, pay $20 each.

buy 2, pay $18 each.

buy 3 or more, pay $16 each etc. 

I don’t know how to set it up as I’m not an eBay seller. 

I do know the discount is sorted out when items are added to the cart. 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Thanks Jane. On the items I have multiple's of, I often do offer volume discounts. However, most of my items are single items and the volume discount is only for the item as far as I know. So this means that it doesn't offer a discount for postage. The other drawback is that when offering 'free postage', you cannot give any discount if the buyer waits for an invoice. 

So it seems that offering 'free postage' is not very beneficial other than making buyers believe they are getting the postage free which is of course never the case. 

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

Some items sell better at $15 free postage than $5 plus $10 postage due to the perceived value of the item. Same goes for items worth a few hundred dollars that have a low postage rate it looks better plus will be placed above those that don't.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

Yes, I agree eol. That is what I generally do too, make a decision on how to cost the postage based on the value of the item versus the cost of postage. But at times it feels a bit 'inconsistent' and lacking coherence. But it seems there is no ideal way here. The other disadvantage of offering 'free postage' is that if a buyer purchases 3 items and all have the free postage, then eBay requires 3 separate tracking numbers as opposed to one tracking number if the buyer waits for an invoice for the postage discount. It is a right mess really. 

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

On another account I sell things I make and have never used 'free postage'.  Naturally ebay have tried to persuade me that free postage means I'd sell more but, as I've pointed out to ebay, that is unfair to customers wanting to buy several items and those who want to take advantage of free pick up.

However, even though all my listings include the info that I'm happy to combine postage before payment is made, several times a buyer has bought more than 1, up to 7 items in one case, and paid postage on each one. I work out the excess they've paid, deduct ebay's fee and offer them another item in lieu of refund - which they are always happy to accept, and I'm happy as I've 'sold' another item.

Obviously this goods in lieu method of refund wouldn't apply in every situation. However recent refunds of part of the extra postage paid on other sales has come as a surprise to the buyers and I've received messages and feedback with thanks.

By the way, on the 7 items  I sold to the same buyer in 7 separate transactions, I used the same tracking number for each  - all accepted by ebay's system without a hitch.

I send all items that are thin / light enough for document post by registered mail which also provides tracking.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

I rarely get a buyer purchasing more than one item so is not an issue for me. My ideal postage amount to charge would be $9 flat rate then add in any extra to the item price of each product to cover the cost. This would give buyers the chance to buy more and know the postage cost is only $9 for any quantity and the extra cost to me is covered. 

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

Yes, I find it a bit frustrating too eBay's obsession with 'free postage', obviously more 'free postage' means more members signing up for their eBay Plus. But I agree that it essentially can mean that buyers are paying more overall for their items. I also do refund the over payment of postage if a buyer pays for more than one postage if I can combine, but I don't know if that can bite you later with the 95% tracking rate you need to meet. I know it accepts the tracking number but I don't know if it is counted towards affecting the 95%.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply