Do you get offered credits if ebay cannot help with a selling issue?

A major bug bear I have with ebay is the difficulty in issuing combined invoices.

I understand there are many conflicting elements to this issue and this has been so for some two years or more.

But it remains the case that only a small percentage of buyers are able to make the request.

Multiple purchases represented about 25% of turnover 3 years ago, now less than 10%. There are sure to be other factors,but all the same.

My policy is to refund excess postage if the buyer does overpay on postage.

Every so often when a buyer is unable to request the invoice or I seem to lose a sale due to it, I contact ebay to have a grumble.

The usual run around then occurs.

After this long,I think eBay either does not want to, or cannot, fix this problem.

However,the last two times I made contact on this issue, and after much expressing of my frustration with their inaction, I have been offered fee credits as compensation. The latest being today. 

Would this now be eBay's standard practice when dealing with aggrieved clients. Pay them off?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Do you ever suggest to buyers to use the cart for multiple purchases ?

image host
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

My post is really about being fobbed off with a financial incentive.

I'll say this: During the past couple of years, I have attempted to help customers through the current checkout process, mostly without success.

For one, I remember, starting with the app, he went to the website,changed settings etc and was still confronted with 'buy it now' with multiple postage. No cart. I cannot explain that.

It is not my job to do this really. That is eBay's responsibility with it's promise of a seamless buying experience. It is ebay that has made the process needlessly difficult and possibly too expensive for those wishing to make multiple purchases. Most customers are not so savvy as to know how to navigate settings to their advantage. The customer then needs to trust I will refund excess postage, if it comes to that. That is not fair on them or me.

My post is asking whether ebay has adopted the attitude of offering compensation rather than fixing the problem.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I agree, the eBay system is often not user friendly.

For this reason many sellers put in their listing description to use the cart and request total if buying multiples.

Many of us here have tried and pleaded with eBay for sensible improvements to no avail.

So we have simply learnt to work within it's offerings.

Keeping in mind, the staff are just call centre part timers in the Phillipines and can't do anything except offer credits for disgruntled members.

image host
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Ebay don't want to fix this 'problem' because it makes them a lot of extra money in fees.

Now that I've set up capped postage I say in my descriptions that the only way to get it is to use the cart and that I no longer refund postage if people make more than one payment.

I still have the occasional person pay separately but that's not my problem, it's theirs. If they have the opportunity to use the cart and don't, why should I do extra work and lose money? It's up to them to learn how to use the site properly. With capped postage I actually get a higher net price per item if someone buys 2, 3, or 4 items together than if they just buy one, or buy them separately, so I stick to my guns and don't refund anything.
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Don't think I've ever heard of, or read on these pages about Ebay offering 'credits' to aggreived sellers.  And judging from what I read here there are plenty of them!

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply