Do you think Ebay dead now with sales

My sales has drop because all the changes on ebay from 2 to 4 lot  a day on a min of 100 lots a month

down too 40 to 50 max a month .

I have noticed that a large company comes along and they put there product on the front page straight away

and i was selling more because they was not selling online they come back and they go stright to the front

So all Ebay helps is large companies than the smaller ones

Plus the large companies have very large prices on postage for there product and they get away with it

So is there some other company in Australia can open up a website so  people can sell there product on there with out all this bull **bleep** that we have to go though with ebay high prices and changes all the time they are kill small business and small sellers  

Message 1 of 52
Latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

There is an alternative auction site which has a high number of sellers, unfortunately they don't have too many buyers. They have been around for a long time now but like you hardly anyone knows it exists.

Every time there are major changes here on ebay sellers leave, go to the alternative site and then return to ebay when they finf they can sell next to nothing.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 52
Latest reply

You will have better chance selling your products on ebay than having your own website.
You have to spend 100 times more than what you currently pay for marketing,SEO etc.
i would add more related products take professional quality images attract buyers. When it's come to ebay search engine I do not believe ebay only favours the big compaines. Ebay search algorithm works similar to Google quality content, competitive price, free shipping and good return policy will attract Custormers. Selling online is constantly changing. I strongly believe ebay is the most cost effective selling platform on the planet that get your products maximum exposure.
Good luck with your business
Message 3 of 52
Latest reply

G/day mate, i've sent you a P.M hope it helps.Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 52
Latest reply

[quote]When it's come to ebay search engine I do not believe ebay only favours the big compaines. Ebay search algorithm works similar to Google quality content, competitive price, free shipping and good return policy will attract Custormers.[/quote]

No offense, but pretty naive if you believe all that.....all the big boys have cut a sweet deal with Ebay.

Guy's like Dick Smith get huge incentives from Ebay to sell on their website - and even when they fail time and time again at the basics, they still are favoured in Ebay's brilliant Best Match Algorithm (thanks, cassini!) and are promoted like crazy on: Ebay's Homepage, Sunday Promo's and "Best Deals". If anyother seller had a similar feedback to Dick SMith - they would've had their account restricted by now, or have their listings buried in the search results. The big boys get preferential treatment whether we like it or not.

Message 5 of 52
Latest reply

Still.... You will have better chance selling on eBay than having your products on your own website. I have been trading online for last 7-8 years managing a RC hobby website and a clothing wholesale/retail website, the amount of money that we have to pay for Adwords and SEO,SEM is mind boggling. The so called big guys have Millions of dollars to spend on marketing and they already have well established Brand. Obviously the ebay wants to have them on board. Look at Kogan he started off on ebay. Ebay clearly did not favour him. you can not make any claim that ebay favours the big guys and crush the rest of us like cockroaches. Not true
Like I said...At least on ebay you will have much better chance getting a sale or at least a view.
it sure about how Cassini is set up. But I am sure it is not set to favours only the big guys.
Message 6 of 52
Latest reply

Depends on what you are selling, but that's not necessarily true. While running both an independant online store and eBay store a year back, I found sales to be fairly similar for myself in Men's Fashion/Clothing (a category now that not many Australian's thrive in). I didn't spend the earth on SEO either, simply had it outsourced, and did the basics in regard to Social Media. There are shopping cart platforms these days that you are able to set up within hours. Sure the indexing side is slow, but there are tricks to speed it up. I spent less than a 1k myself, and that was building a website from scratch. If anything, I recommend everyone give it a try, especially these days, it's not smart relying on Ebay alone.

If you have been trading on Ebay for 7-8 years, you of all people should recognise the change in landscape, and what it has done for those hobby/small sellers. Every change Ebay has made in the last 4 years has been made with the intention of eradicating those pesky small seller's that clog up the search and don't do anything to increase Ebay's revenues. Ebay has also **bleep** off Google in the last few years, which has contributed to a decrease in traffic. All I see now are Big Retailer's with subpar fb scores and chinese seller's swamping the place (Thanks john donahoe!!). They've shifted to the virtual mall set up that favours big retailers, whether we like it or not. Best Match is not what you think it is.....

Message 7 of 52
Latest reply

Ever had one of those days where you sell 7-8 times as more than you would ordinarily do on most days? Does that even happen anymore? It used to.            

Here's an interesting opinion from an experienced ecommerce consultant/advisor:            

"They rate limit sales on eBay. By 10am sellers with a long history should be able to guess their sales for that day within a 5% to 10% window. The way I see it, sellers start the day with a neutral visibility modifier. By midday, if you’ve not matched the level of sales which your business is used to, they increase the modifier so you gain more views in eBay search. But if you’ve done really well that morning, and have surpassed your target, they’re going to move the modifier down to keep you within a consistent range.

In contrast, on Amazon sales move up and down unpredictably. That’s what you would expect from a large marketplace with a huge number of buyers and many external factors affecting their behaviour. "   

I too have experienced this surge of sales on Amazon, this NEVER happens on Ebay anymore, and one can reasonably estimate how many sales are coming each day (usually '0' on Fridays due to maintenance LOL).

Message 8 of 52
Latest reply

I see your point. But your post is depresses me. What I said was I was been trading online for 7-8 years. And we are not not a pesky small sellers. Our sell through rate on eBay and off is pretty good. Yes I admit there are plenty of hobby products sellers from China.
But it did not affect my business at all. You are claiming something not true. What I do agree with you is it depending on what you sell.
Obviously you could only sell what the market wants and demands for it. Ebay is a great platform to test various products and filtering out what's selling hot and create a website around it that's what I did and many other entrepreneurs has been doing. Relying only on eBay is like you are working for someone and expecting it is your own business. You do not have full control over your business I am well aware of that. My argument is based on for new sellers entering into online platform. If you have zero knowledge about online business what is the best and easy platform you will recommend? Shopify? magneto? I think people will lose interest before making a single sale.
Message 9 of 52
Latest reply

If you don't think ebay is a slow sinking ship .... why did they sack the boss?

The shareholders must think it is going/gone downhill

You all tell us that ebay only think of their shareholders, that is their priority, not buyers or sellers

Well the shareholders have spoken

It is not over until the Fat Ladies post

Message 10 of 52
Latest reply