Does Ebay have a policy that buyers must put in an adds description that a silver item is clad copy

There are sellers who are selling $3 copies of genuine silver bullion that are silver plated brass. The unscupulous are not putting this in their adds main description and are hiding behind that it is written deep in the add where the ignorant dont go . EG you have to page down after you open the auction. The buyers history indicates that people have bought these items for the value of genuine silver bullion, obviously they think they are real.  I brought this to Ebays attention of Deceptive auction listings and I got back "get over it you cant stop china selling fake bullion" very poor Ebay, it wasnt being sold by china, it was australia and all ebay has to do to stop further underhanded deceptive rip offs is make the unscrupulous put plated in the adds main desciption to at least give the naive a chance. If something is not done they will eventually resell the items on ebay with no plated brass hidden down the bottom, because they think they are real and eventually no one will buy silver off ebay because it is so risky.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Does Ebay have a policy that buyers must put in an adds description that a silver item is clad copy

Sounds like you might be one of those who only read the title and look at the pictures. Descriptions are there for a reason!! Please read them!! 😄

Yes, some people do try to pass of fake bullion as real ones. If you use the report link in the listing and then the copyright option, eBay will usually take notice of those reports. I have sold fake bullion bars and coins from time to time, but I make it very clear they are not the real thing. I mention it in the title and also the description. If someone misses that, there's not a lot I can do about it. 

You can't use the word 'fake' because the eBay bots pick it up. I use words like silver clad or layered silver, or even finished in 999 gold. They are accurate descriptions because the bar is clad with real silver, or is finished in 999 gold. I also list mine at a price where it should be obvious to most that they aren't the real thing, because who would list a solid gold bullion bar for $8.99?

Seriously though, if people are trying to pass of fakes as the real thing, keep reporting via the link in the listing until eBay takes notice. If the listing is still there after 24 hours (on a weekday), use the report member option in the help and contact link up the top of every eBay page. Explain why you are reporting and put the item numbers for each listing in the report with an explanation of why you think they are fake.

If that doesn't work, come back here and leave the item numbers for the suspect listings and others here can report them too. Don't mention any sellers names, just item numbers.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

To make it perfectly clear I havent been stung by these silver clad bars and my rule is always read an entire auction and read the sellers feedback. This is why I picked up that the primary heading was deceptive in not mentioning anything to do with clad regardless that it is mentioned further down the add where others may not go and has resulted in numerous copy bars worth $3 being sold for pure silver prices as found in the feedback.  The deception is this person is leading the ignorant astray by omission in the title. These name brand copy bars will end  up back on ebay being sold as real bars by the ignorant. How is it that Ebay even allows copies to be sold? They stopped the fake rolexes and fake running shoes. These bars are being advertised with Name brand minters  names and they are copies, doesnt that infringe copyright.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Report it here and include the messages from eBay: http://www.acorn.gov.au/

That way they can see that eBay do nothing to stop this.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

It is very hard to understand what you are getting at...please give an item number of one of these deceptive listings so we can have a look.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Item number 161657580453

please note the bidding is up to $30 for a $3 fake clad bar a copy of a Scottsdale with nothing in the main description to say clad or not made by Scottsdale. This bidder thinks they are getting a real silver bar that is not  worth that even if it was real. All I am saying is the items description should be exactly what the item is so as to not dupe all these people who buy and  left feedback.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Yes, someone could be fooled by the title, but given the description only has half a dozen words, saying that it's clad and the material is brass, it's a bit hard to miss it!!! The item specifics also state that it's made of brass. That said, a lot of buyers do just read the title and look at the photos. That is their own fault if they get caught.

Looking at the feedback, I only looked at the first page and all the feedback left, the buyers seem to be happy with what they bought. They can't all assume it's the real thing. Some people like to collect the fake ones, purely because they like the look of them and know they could never afford a real one.

I was surprised at what some of them sold for though. I can't really get more than about 6 or 7 bucks for a silver plated one. One BIG issue with that bar listed is, I can't see the word copy anywhere one it. All fakes should contain the word copy somewhere on it. I always take a photo of the word so there is no mistaking what it is.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

I dont understand - its very clearly stated in the description thaat its silver plated brass.

Anyone would have to be a moron to miss it - theres only a few words in the whole thing.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

It is the item title that is the problem "1 Troy Scottsdale Silver Bullion Bar" which doesnt say it is a copy or that it is clad. I agree that in the "Item specifics" it says that it is brass silver clad but those who dont page down and see this and pay $30 are getting ripped off. Sellers should be up front with their titles so as to give the mugs a break. I have no problems with those selling fake look alight clad bars as long as it is written in the title. Not everyone is as astute as you and I think they shouldnt have to pay real silver prices for a pretty thing made by the chinese for serveral dollars and sold in Australia by both scrupulous and unscupulous sellers. Ebay for heavens sake wade in here and make people do the right thing because if you dont there will that many fake silver bars on ebay that the genuine silver stackers will abandon ebay and only buy off reputable bullion sellers. Hang on I think I see a pattern here I am beginning to think the lack of the response from the minters of silver whos bars are being copied want to see people flock away from ebay to buy the genuine items directly from them. 

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Silly me.

I always thought the description was part of the listing.

So, I list a book. The title, author and sequence in the series uses up my 80 characters of title.

Am I unreasonable in expecting a prospective buyer to look at the description for mundane information? Like condition, blurb, postage....

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply