Does anyone know a Solicitor to take on buyer?

Hi All,

Does anybody know a solicitor that will help remove an unfair negative feedback and seek damages for defamation?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@bjmonty28 wrote:

Well this business`s sales is dropping from $11K a month to under $9K very fast.

That "pretty red dot" is causing more trouble than you could imagine.

The buyer bought an item thinking it was the correct item for his need and returned it for a refund so we refunded (minus postage) and we received a negative. Pfft.

He even admits in emails that he purchased the wrong item. I am sure there are solicitors who will take this on.

Are the  Emails contrary to the feedback?

If so,then contacting eBay may get the neg removed?

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

The only one to get the most out of that would be the lawyers.

If it was this ID it has been removed so not there to damage any reputation.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Any of the ' no win, no pay' ones might help.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Any of the ' no win, no pay' ones might help.

I doubt it, they only take on cases they cirtain they can win. Csn you see any slicitor saying to the court that somebody should be compensated because they had a pretty red dot on their computer screen and sombody in the real world knew their real name and the seller lost business because of that.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Perhaps it's best to not contribute if you can't be positive. At least I'm trying to help, after all, that's what most people come here for.

And a 'pretty red dot' is quite different from defamation, if that's indeed the case.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

Well this business`s sales is dropping from $11K a month to under $9K very fast.

That "pretty red dot" is causing more trouble than you could imagine.

The buyer bought an item thinking it was the correct item for his need and returned it for a refund so we refunded (minus postage) and we received a negative. Pfft.

He even admits in emails that he purchased the wrong item. I am sure there are solicitors who will take this on.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

If you are prepared to pay there would be many taking it on. Perhaps Fox Tucker, as they are familiar with ebay's policies.

But as to the no win , no fee lawyers, doubt it very much on the basis of it being a low compensation case.

image host
Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

I don't know if the same applies in Australia but there is a set procedure for the UK eBay.  Apparently you need to get a solicitor to lodge a claim:

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/Feedback-Removal-By-A-Notice-of-Claim-of-Defamation-/10000000013167700/g....

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Has there been any successful cases for this in Australia?

I found this one that wasn't.

June 2014 

In one of the first cases of its kind in Australia, an eBay seller running a business called "Achilles Archery & Outdoors" sued a West Australian man over a negative review he posted on the auction website, as well as five posts on a separate forum in which the buyer discussed products he had bought from the business

The case was dismissed on a procedural point by NSW District Court judge Judith Gibson last month, but lawyers predict the number of defamation cases involving online reviews and feedback will grow as people become increasingly aware of their online reputation.

Judge Gibson said "the distress caused to ordinary members of the community who find themselves at the receiving end of proceedings for defamation (as opposed to experienced media defendants) has been the subject of comment" in Supreme Court cases.

"These considerations are even more relevant today, where parties with no prior experience of defamation law, rather than experienced media defendants, increasingly find themselves before the court in complex and expensive litigation," she said.

"Claims for defamation are easy to commence, and difficult to defend."

In the District Court case, the eBay seller did not provide particulars of how he had been identified by the comments and the case was summarily dismissed

Andrew Stewart, a partner at law firm Baker & McKenzie, said another potential obstacle was whether anybody could recognise the plaintiff if they too used a pseudonym.

"It may only be a few people who can recognise the user who is being attacked, if anyone," Mr Stewart said.

"That doesn't mean it's not defamatory but what it means is that because the reputation of the person may only be affected in respect of a small number of people, the damages may be too small to justify suing."

http://www.smh.com.au/national/negative-feedback-on-ebay-emerges-as-new-defamation-battleground-2014...

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

Most defamation claims don't make it to court, but there have been successful suits for Facebook and Twitter comments, and one famous restaurant review 🙂 If the feedback comment qualifies, there's no reason why there would not be a case.

To the OP, try searching for reputation management you should come up with several.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply