Hi. Could some-one give me some advice on this item I sold.

Hello.

This is the first time I have posted a question so if I say something wrong please forgive me. I sold a large number of 44 woolworths dominoes item number is 161643065546 and it finished on the 28th March. They were posted with only $4.50 postage to the buyer I paid the extra for the postage so I could have tracking and hopefully not have another item go missing. They were packed safely in a bubble mailer and were perfectly sealed as I do not have anyone interested in collecting them and there was also an extra one I put in for the buyer. I have just received a message from the buyer telling me that half of them have been opened and there was a lot doubles as well. I would suggest that the buyer opened them and decided he did not want to keep them so now he wants to have his money back. Does any-one have any idea how I should approach the buyer in my message to him and how I should resolve it . He is obviously going to be difficult to deal with judging by his abrupt message to me. Thankyou for any-one who can give me some advise.

Message 1 of 100
Latest reply
99 REPLIES 99

Wow, just checked it out! I have seen lots of swapsies going on in Facebook groups, but I had no idea there was a market for these!  

Sadly as a seller you need to cover every base, so even though it may be obvious to you, a disclaimer that you don't know what is inside so it is possible there may be double-ups would be in order.  Also, as there are 44 to collect and you have listed exactly 44, it might have been assumed by the buyer that they were purchasing a complete set. 

The buyer has been dishonest by claiming they were opened, however I don't know if it would be possible for you to prove otherwise.

Message 2 of 100
Latest reply

Dear buyer,

I am sorry you feel the items are not what you expected.

As the items are now opened, I am sure you understand the items cannot be resold as unopened.

Just to explain the ebay process, ebay don't require a seller to refund for change of mind as the items are as described.

Had the items not been opened I would have been glad to refund upon their return.

Seeing as you are a collector of these, I suggest keeping the ones you don't have and sell or swap the doubles for others.

And I would be happy to guide you to listing on ebay if you haven't sold here before.

Happy Easter, kind regards,

Just to clarify, is the buyer saying they were opened when they arrived or the buyer has opened some?

image host
Message 3 of 100
Latest reply

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Yes I agree there would obviously be doubles however you have to open them to find that out. Sorry I did not know there were 44 or I would have listed them as 45. I tried to be nice to the buyer and just gave him the other one I found.

Hopefully you will be able to list some yourself. I have just lost interest in trying to sell them myself in the future as I suspect this is probably happening to a lot of people that sell them. I have not had some-one try to do this to me before and I am just not sure how to proceed with this transaction without copping a defect as well.

Message 4 of 100
Latest reply

@daffodilau wrote:

I have just received a message from the buyer telling me that half of them have been opened and there was a lot doubles as well.

Is the buyer trying to suggest they received them opened, or are they just trying to say now that they've opened some, they're not happy with the number of doubles?

If the latter, then I would go with Kopes. If the former and they're trying to say the packets were opened already, then I'd ask them for some more information (possibly an image) about the condition of the packaging (the mail packaging, I mean).

Message 5 of 100
Latest reply

Hi. Thankyou for your help. It is very much appreciated. The buyer stated that there was a lot of doubles and that the corners were cut off half of them. .They were perfect when I sent them. I am not sure what they are like now he has looked at them or how many have not been opened as he did not clarify that.

I Really appreciate the advise you gave me . I felt quite down as I would never treat someone as i have just been You have just given me a lift.

Thankyou. I wish you and you family a happy and safe Easter.

Message 6 of 100
Latest reply

Hi, thank you, you too. Smiley Very Happy

BTW, the happy easter bit in my post is also part of the suggested letter to the buyer.

Making it sound pleasant and professional is best.

image host
Message 7 of 100
Latest reply

@daffodilau wrote:

Hi. Thankyou for your help. It is very much appreciated. The buyer stated that there was a lot of doubles and that the corners were cut off half of them. .

Sounds like they might have opened the package with a pair of scissors and inadvertently cut through some of them, maybe.

Message 8 of 100
Latest reply

Good point DG, perhaps even another family member used scissors to open them and is not game to confess their error.

image host
Message 9 of 100
Latest reply

Grandson collects them.    If you cut the corner you can see the number.

Sneaky way to save ripping them open.

I hope this buyer doesn't get away with it.

Too many doubles and wants his money back?  It's the luck of the draw

People don't go into lotto when they don't win, say

"Too many doubles, want my money back"

Seller listed them as unopened,  now they are not.

Message 10 of 100
Latest reply