Does a seller get a defect for this?

Good morning eBayers.

My girlfriend received a message from eBay stating "A request is now open, please respond"

The request is for an item not received.

The item was sent out the same day the buyer paid through PayPal on the 30.03.15. The listing has a handling time of 2 business days.

The tracking number was entered and the item marked as sent.

When you click on the tracking number it shows that it was processed by Australia Post on the 01.04.15, 02.04.15 & the 08.04.15.

Could someone please tell me does a seller automatically receive a defect because this case was opened even though the item was posted within the 2 business days stated in the listing?

I appreciate your reponse,

Jake.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Yes instant defect
Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Yes it will register a defect as soon as the case is opened by the buyer.
Do you have a lodgement receipt from the PO at the time you sent it?
Do any of those tracking events state delivered?
If you present both of those pieces of info to EBay you may be able to get the case closed in your favour and any associated defect removed.
Remember that under Australian Consumer Law, specifically in the Sale Of Goods Act in your state the seller is only obligated to prove that the item was handed to the carrier. The item is then deemed as delivered to the buyer.
So if you have that required proof and EBay treat you differently then they are in breach of the laws of the land. You then have a right to have the decision overturned by reporting them to the ACCC.
So don't allow them to walk over you.
Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Of course your buyer may very well be telling the truth. You then have a business and ethical decision on your hands as to if/not you replace the item or refund your buyer.
In this case you might seek recompense from Australia Post so you can recover your funds and consequently keep your buyer happy.
Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Unfortunately yes, however if she contacts the buyer and points out the fact that it was posted immediately after payment, but that with the four day Easter weekend it has likely just been delayed (give her the tracking number so she can see for herself that Auspost have the item),a reasonable buyer will understand. She can ask the buyer to give it a few more days and when it is received, the buyer can go back to the dispute and close/withdraw it.  You may still need to argue with eBay to have the associated defect removed though.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Does tracking state delivered or is it still processing through system.

Is it still being claimed as lost, or just delayed

If she is an occasional seller a defect wont matter.

The only safeguard Ebay have in place against these defects being raised is by not allowing case to be opened before thier estimated delivery time. Which often has no reflection on reality. Ebay make slow postal service your defect.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

@lane-ends wrote:

Does tracking state delivered or is it still processing through system.

Is it still being claimed as lost, or just delayed

If she is an occasional seller a defect wont matter.

The only safeguard Ebay have in place against these defects being raised is by not allowing case to be opened before thier estimated delivery time. Which often has no reflection on reality. Ebay make slow postal service your defect.

I don't like to disagree lane & Jake I don't mean to be an alarmist, but I think a defect on an occasional account with low Feedback could have a very detrimental effect as it would mean the defect % is high, resulting in all sorts of consequences.

I could be wrong and if I am please someone set me straight on that Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

No, should be fine.  Remember eBay is protecting us from eBay.

The defect rate won't affect your status until you have transactions with defects with at least 8 different buyers (at least 5 different buyers to impact Top Rated status) within your evaluation period.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

No, should be fine.  Remember eBay is protecting us from eBay.

The defect rate won't affect your status until you have transactions with defects with at least 8 different buyers (at least 5 different buyers to impact Top Rated status) within your evaluation period.

Thanks cats (and sorry Jake) - I see the percentage and read so many comments I forget about the fine print, lol

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

I've had a couple of these recently, and I have found the only way eBay won't permanently defect you for it is if you provide an instant refund to the buyer after the request is open (that's without the request being escalated and found in favour of the seller, anyway, and as far as I know).

Which is all kinds of maddening and disappointing. 😞

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply