I am Reluctant to send items.

Sold an item (under $5) and buyer paid. Then I noticed a message on the paypal email

DONT USE REG POST & Msg to postie:- “Enter via ******** St. driveway to Parcel area; Do Not Card,/Ask For Signature, just leave hidden in bin/box, dont knock/ring bell. If not home then leaving a card means the item RTS after 2 weeks of being idle

Alarm bells are ringing ...I cant afford to send it with tracking so oh knowlagable folks ....what would you do ? That last bit I highlighted ..... how do you read its meaning ?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

If you post the item as a regular parcel it has tracking anyway.

Is it a parcel or letter to be posted?

In the end your decision of if you should just refund or not.

Think you risk a neg either way with a message like that.

What does buyer feedback left for others look like?

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

raffta1
Community Member

What was the postage details when listed? If the buyer wanted something else other than what was listed, then they need to pay for the extra, they should have asked gthis before buying and paying for the item.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The buyer is telling you that they are unable to get to a post office to pick the item up if they are not home when it is delivered.  They are asking that it be safe dropped.

I have never heard of it being done this way.  It is more usual for the buyer to have a safe drop arrangement in place with their PO rather than expecting the seller to lose their protection.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

No rego post offered in the listing. It is letter size. They have lots of good feeback so maybe just take a chance. Gunna need a bigger envelope for that message tho.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I have had a buyer who has "Leave behind the green gate" as part of their address.  As said earlier I would suggest the buyer is not able to get to the PO during open hours and if it is carded then their PO would send back to you after holding for two weeks because they could not pick it up.  

You said it was not an expensive item and I guess if there is some dispute down the track you have their messages so show eBay.  

If they have good feedback it is quite likely that this has been regularly requested and I am sure their postie would know the routine. Hope that helps.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

yep is not home during day and cant get to local outlet to pick up. Given it is a cheap item they are happy with "safe" drop.

A lot of folks don't like sign for, for this very reason

Whats the worst that can happen to you? If you weren't sending tracking anyway then they could have claimed not received regardless. For $5, I doubt you are dealing with a dodgy scammer..

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

@outback_blends wrote:

Sold an item (under $5) and buyer paid. Then I noticed a message on the paypal email

DONT USE REG POST & Msg to postie:- “Enter via ******** St. driveway to Parcel area; Do Not Card,/Ask For Signature, just leave hidden in bin/box, dont knock/ring bell. If not home then leaving a card means the item RTS after 2 weeks of being idle

Alarm bells are ringing ...I cant afford to send it with tracking so oh knowlagable folks ....what would you do ? That last bit I highlighted ..... how do you read its meaning ?

I don't see any reason for alarm bells.

Clearly the buyer can't collect the parcel if he/she isn't there when it is delivered....something I have the same problem with. 

RegisteredPost/Signed For/Whatever is the bane of my life - with number two on the list being sellers who don't specify they only use Registered Post (....so I can look elsewhere).

Perhaps the buyer is also not able to have the parcel transferred to another (better) post office...or possibly he/she is not willing to do so, because if the parcel is over a certan weight you have to pay a fee (currently $5.70).

It also sounds like the buyer hopes Aust Post will just deliver the parcel (signature or not) instead of a card.  If only they would!  Please ask the buyer if he/she manages it....that's a secret worth knowing. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Buyer not home in business hours, not able to get to the PO when it is open. They might work night shift on week nights, and don't want anyone knocking on the door in the day time while they are asleep.

As the item is worth less than $5 not likely to be the big scam of the century.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

It also sounds like the buyer hopes Aust Post will just deliver the parcel (signature or not) instead of a card.  If only they would!  Please ask the buyer if he/she manages it....that's a secret worth knowing. Smiley Wink

There is no secret....ask you PO/Delivery Centre about a Safe Drop agreement.   I have had one in place for 10 years now and never a problem.

The only time my parcels are carded is when my regular postman or contractor are on holidays.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply