EBAY HACKED- has this affected your Sales?

The recent hacking of ebay's site - has this affected anyone's Sales already?

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: EBAY HACKED- has this affected your Sales?

Just had our biggest sales day in 5-months today. I think not.

Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

It hasn't affected me as a buyer or seller (I do sell too at times).

as it has affected everyone, everyone is here to change their passwords...it might have inspired some browsing too 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Been a bit quiet for me over the last couple of days.... not sure if its a coincidence or not
Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member
I am glad the hacking story broke out. EBay is in the foregroud of people's mind. Many 'dormant' eBay accounts most likely have become active and there are more buyers now than previously. This is due to the generic email eBay have sent out requesting their passwords to be reset. The emails do not include the reason for this change but rather is a generic 'password reser request' email.

Those who are scared to buy have been balanced out by those accounts that have become inactive.

I have had a very good 48 hr period in terms of sales over 3 accounts.
Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

It hasn't affected my sales numbers (so far).

Re the hacking...

A website post has offered "eBay user details for sale", following the revelation of a cyber attack aimed at the online marketplace. 

Although a spokeswoman for eBay has told Fairfax Media that the offer to sell eBay user details was not a legitimate one, a leading Perth academic says it is – at the very least – a reminder of the need for vigilance.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/consumer-security/password-security-highlighted-as-ebay-user-deta...

Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

I have just had an email from eBay "Important - eBay Password Reset Required " but mine has the reason they are asking for the password reset.

"Here's why: Recently, our company discovered a cyberattack on our corporate information network. This attack compromised a database containing eBay user passwords."

"Here's what we know: This attack occurred between late February and early March and resulted in unauthorized access to a database of eBay users that includes customers' name, encrypted password, email address, physical address, phone number and date of birth."

So they are now telling everyone, probably because of the US investigation..

So now I am going to have to rename my dog (again).

Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

I had expected sales to fall however very strangely I did notice an increase?????

Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
i had 2 days of not much straight after the news but i have had a very good time of it since then... no complaints
Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

We had it go quiet for 24 hours, but then back to normal.

Put a lock on your letter box, don't use your name in your answering machine messages (mobile or home), be careful of emails and phone calls from 'banks' etc, regularly check your CRA, regularly check our bank balances etc. Change your ebay password often and make sure you don't have a 'second' contact email address added or your own changed (including Paypal email address) added to your account.

This is going to hit sooner or later in a big way. Business accounts even have tax file numbers on the accounts - so details such as name, address, phone number, birth date and tax file number (as well as a list of companies you hold credt and bank account with) are all there laid out for anyone to use or sell.

It appears the bomb will go off ... we don't know when .... and it's too late to change anything or save ourselves.

Good luck everyone ... we are gping to need it.

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply