EBAY PLUS

Hi, Just wondering if anyone knows how a returns procedure works in the case of an Ebay plus buyer returning an item. If the seller has a postage free item and the buyer then returns it does the seller have to refund the full amount to the buyer upon return. I understand Ebay pay for the return, but does the buyer receive thier full amount back from the seller. If this is the case then the seller is out of pocket becuase as we know postage is not free??? Any help would be much appreciated

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

EBAY PLUS

You bring up a good point.

Usually sellers work the postage price into the item price but loose that upon refund.

Perhaps that's one of the reasons eBay are quick to offer this service as it won't cost eBay.

I haven't used eBayplus nor looked at the conditions yet but I doubt eBay will pay for the initial postage, just like the normal returns.

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

EBAY PLUS

If a seller lists an item as free postage, the full amount needs to be refunded regardless of whether the buyer is a plus member, for both change of mind (COM) and item not as described. There is one exception though, if the buyer returns for change of mind and not in original condition, the seller can deduct an amount from the refund, but only if postage was free. The ability to have a restocking fee has been withdrawn unfortunately.

If postage was listed separately, ebay pays the seller for it and so a full refund is still due in a case of INAD, but not for change of mind, so the seller would retain the postage cost for a COM return. I think it works the same as when the buyer uses a voucher if a full refund is provided - so, the seller refunds the amount the amount they received, item price going to the buyer and postage to eBay.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

EBAY PLUS

Thanks for the reply. I have looked everywhere but true to form can't find what happens if this is the case. I know that in our industry the sellers who have free postage all have re-stocking fees for returns due to change of mind, item does not fit etc.. Next stop Ebay themselves
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

EBAY PLUS

Yes I think you could be right apart from the restocking fee. All of the sellers involved in our industry that offer free postage have a restocking fee if the buyer changes mind, or if item does not fit etc.. Its different if the item is not as described. Maybe that's how the sellers will get around it with a re-stocking fee???
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

EBAY PLUS

Hi in case of buyer return item due to change of mind and item is in original condition, I'm afraid we now have to issue full refund. However in the case of it return not as original condition we can offer buyer partial refund instead.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

EBAY PLUS

It's not strictly speaking eBay Plus, but rather general seller policy updates... but... You can choose not to accept change of mind returns.

eBay have decided to "simplify" returns - which means that they've removed seller options and made it easier for sellers to be imposed on by unscrupulous buyers.

eBay Seller Centre: Simplifying Returns (read all about it, if you've not already done so).

Quote: The โ€œAdditional return policy detailsโ€ field, restocking fees and the option to issue a refund via merchandising credit will no longer be available.

The minimum change of mind return period has been stretched out to 30 days. For some items, that is a dangerous minimum encouraging use of the item for an event before returning for a full refund, no questions asked.

Quote:

The five return policy options will be:

• Returns not accepted
  • 30-day returns
  • 30-day free returns
  • 60-day returns
  • 60-day free returns.

However, just to reiterate, you can still choose not to accept change of mind returns, which are after all a courtesy to the buyer or free benefit to the buyer, not to the seller. I regard as spurious eBay's neat little table suggesting that sellers may see an increase in purchases if they accept returns.*

(For the purpose of discussing returns policies on eBay, it's important to note that when eBay talks about accepting returns, they mean CHANGE OF MIND returns. Returns of faulty, incorrect or significantly not as described items will always be accepted; that is a separate issue.)

Quote:

You are not required to accept returns for โ€œchange of mindโ€ (remorse). However, we encourage you to consider accepting remorse returns as part of your business practice. Returns are a regular occurrence in retail and commerce. They're also a major consideration for buyers when they choose where to purchase online.

A generous returns policy is important to buyers and helps increase their trust in you as a seller.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

EBAY PLUS

I remember recently open a case to a seller who sells 8 items and all was stated brand new. 4 if them have the extra tape on top manufacturer tape which I consider no longer brand new. Open non as describe case, seller still can close it without words.

Anyway, if return is offered to begin with - I'm afraid it's no longer a courtesy, it's part of the sale. If you don't originally offer return then it is really a courtesy.
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply