EBay refunded INR

Have a problem purchased 21 new old stock ford parts from the US 29/01/22 paid approx USD$770.00 which converted to AUD$1158.00 - Ebay opened a INR case a couple a weeks ago today 19/03/22 EBay has refunded the transaction USD$770 when converted to AUD only I’ve received back AUD$1048.00, shouldn’t I get back the original USD to AUD Conversion ?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

EBay refunded INR

You receive back the payment in the currency in which the transaction was completed - that is, if the item is listed by a seller as US$770.00, that is the amount that you must pay. Of course in order for you to pay that amount, your payment processor (your credit card, PayPal, whatever it may be) OR your payment provider (bank where you have an account, your credit card provider, etc) will perform a currency conversion. There'll be a fee involved, and of course you don't get that fee back. Additionally there's a risk that you'll lose Australian dollars if a refund occurs, because you didn't pay the seller $1158.00 in Australian dollars; you paid $770 in US dollars.

It cost you AU$1158.00, but that is not the same thing as the transaction amount being AU$1158.00.

If the currency exchange rate is in your favour, you'd receive back more AUD than you paid. If the currency exchange rate is not in your favour, you'd receive back a lesser amount in AUD than you paid. That's one of the risks in buying internationally.

PayPal explain that:

Why is the refund I received different from the amount I originally paid?

If your payment involved a currency conversion, the refund you received may be different from the original payment amount. This is due to fluctuations in currency conversion rates.

Where a payment involves a currency conversion, we apply the conversion rate at the time of payment. Similarly, if a payment is refunded, we apply the conversion rate at the time of the refund.

The conversion rate at the time of the refund may be different from the conversion rate on the original payment. For this reason, the refunded amount may not be the same as the original payment amount.❞

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

EBay refunded INR

Apologies I should have asked this under Buying.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

EBay refunded INR

You receive back the payment in the currency in which the transaction was completed - that is, if the item is listed by a seller as US$770.00, that is the amount that you must pay. Of course in order for you to pay that amount, your payment processor (your credit card, PayPal, whatever it may be) OR your payment provider (bank where you have an account, your credit card provider, etc) will perform a currency conversion. There'll be a fee involved, and of course you don't get that fee back. Additionally there's a risk that you'll lose Australian dollars if a refund occurs, because you didn't pay the seller $1158.00 in Australian dollars; you paid $770 in US dollars.

It cost you AU$1158.00, but that is not the same thing as the transaction amount being AU$1158.00.

If the currency exchange rate is in your favour, you'd receive back more AUD than you paid. If the currency exchange rate is not in your favour, you'd receive back a lesser amount in AUD than you paid. That's one of the risks in buying internationally.

PayPal explain that:

Why is the refund I received different from the amount I originally paid?

If your payment involved a currency conversion, the refund you received may be different from the original payment amount. This is due to fluctuations in currency conversion rates.

Where a payment involves a currency conversion, we apply the conversion rate at the time of payment. Similarly, if a payment is refunded, we apply the conversion rate at the time of the refund.

The conversion rate at the time of the refund may be different from the conversion rate on the original payment. For this reason, the refunded amount may not be the same as the original payment amount.❞

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

EBay refunded INR

It   simply means - due to the daily fluctuation of currency - you will receive the current - that day rate of exchange.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

EBay refunded INR

Thanx Countess, yes i understand that we were refunded in USD$ just i thought we would have received back the original Conversion rate but as you have clearly shown how it works i now understand that’s not how it’s done, all good you win some you lose some unfortunately i lost, bugger 

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

EBay refunded INR

Yes, "bugger" is exactly the word.

Goodness only knows what's going to happen with exchange rates over the next few months and possibly years, given what's happening in Ukraine.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

EBay refunded INR

If, due to conversion rates, you received more back in AUD than you paid, would you have even been asking this question? It's a lottery when you purchase from overseas.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

EBay refunded INR

@tickford-t3 wrote:

Thanx Countess, yes i understand that we were refunded in USD$ just i thought we would have received back the original Conversion rate but as you have clearly shown how it works i now understand that’s not how it’s done, all good you win some you lose some unfortunately i lost, bugger 

It's all true about currency conversions but after fees etc I have never, ever heard of anyone ever winning, coming out ahead, no matter what the currency conversion rate is at that time. Just saying.😀

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

EBay refunded INR

@*sons_and_daughters* wrote:

If, due to conversion rates, you received more back in AUD than you paid, would you have even been asking this question? It's a lottery when you purchase from overseas.

Well actually yes I would have asked if it was more - we have never had this happen before - as I said previously I thought we would have been refunded the Original conversion rate, thanx to the CF i/we now know how the refund is done for a OS INR

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

EBay refunded INR

I have had this happen once, years ago. At the time the Australian dollar was strong, and I’d ordered something from the US. It didn’t arrive, I put in a refund request, and the AUD amount refunded was very slightly higher than my initial cost.

I don’t recall the amount, but it was certainly not as much as two dollars, and could have been as little as 40 cents.

The item price was, if I recall correctly, close to $200.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply