Ebay Note: There is a Message from teh buyer

Good Morning all, On all previous orders of mine, if a customer has sent a message with there order, it shows up under "all orders", however, the last few weeks, the message has shown up only after I have achieved it. Which, unfortunately, can be too late for some of the things they ask.

I haven't changed any settings. I have attached a screen shot of what I'm talking about.

If anyone knows how to make this appear on the front screen, that would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

That is the view I have always had and requires me to view sales record to read the message.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Try the old selling view, maybe, rather than through the hub. If they don't show there, do you use the PayPal emails in your process at all? The messages are usually included in those, if that helps. 

I switched off the option for buyers to leave a note years ago, so can't say one way or another how it's functioning now, but that might be a temporary option, as well. If something is important, the buyer will message about it. 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

I switched off the option for buyers to leave a note years ago,

I did not know that you could turn that off.

Thanks! I've never understood what buyers thought they were achieving (other than raising my blood pressure) by sending a "please send asap" message with their payment.

I mean, if I'm the kind of seller who can't be bothered going to the post office for 5 days, do they really think that such a message is going to make me change my mind?!

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@everard6920 wrote:
I've never understood what buyers thought they were achieving (other than raising my blood pressure) by sending a "please send asap" message with their payment.

That's the main reason I switched it off as well - 90% of the notes were some version of the buyer telling me to post ASAP. I don't get it either, and it ticks me off, too, partly because it implies I otherwise wouldn't, and partly because it implies an expectation that their order now needs to be prioritised above all the other ones I have to processs. The remaining messages were a mixed bag of the buyer telling me to do some other thing (i.e. dictate terms post-sale) and, very occasionally, a quick thanks (which was nice, but overall the function just annoyed me due to how everyone else used it, so it had to go Smiley LOL ).

I still occasionally get people contacting me after purchase with the "post ASAP" type messages, but at least that allows me to actually respond appopriately. Basically just the advice that I have a regular posting schedule, which is daily, and that means there's no way for me to post any faster than I already do - when an order goes out depends 100% on when it was placed, and not anything else. 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Speaking of messages from buyers....

I just discovered that the ability to block messages from people is now available in  Australia - i.e. the one that's been available OS for years, where buyers can't send inquiries to the seller unless they've already bought. I don't know when it was introduced, but it would have to be fairly recent (within the last few months) - not something I personally feel the need for (yet! Smiley LOL ), but if anyone else is interested, the option is under 'Manage Communication With Buyers' (unticking "including a message at checkout...." is what prevents notes on orders, for those who may want to do that). 

communication options.PNG

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@everard6920 wrote:
I've never understood what buyers thought they were achieving (other than raising my blood pressure) by sending a "please send asap" message with their payment.

That's the main reason I switched it off as well - 90% of the notes were some version of the buyer telling me to post ASAP. I don't get it either, and it ticks me off, too, partly because it implies I otherwise wouldn't, and partly because it implies an expectation that their order now needs to be prioritised above all the other ones I have to processs. The remaining messages were a mixed bag of the buyer telling me to do some other thing (i.e. dictate terms post-sale) and, very occasionally, a quick thanks (which was nice, but overall the function just annoyed me due to how everyone else used it, so it had to go Smiley LOL ).

I still occasionally get people contacting me after purchase with the "post ASAP" type messages, but at least that allows me to actually respond appopriately. Basically just the advice that I have a regular posting schedule, which is daily, and that means there's no way for me to post any faster than I already do - when an order goes out depends 100% on when it was placed, and not anything else. 

I actually had one on Dec 23 (Sunday, and 1.5 days before Christmas) with a "I need this by Christmas. Thanks!" message.

I ignored it and posted it on Monday. They got it on the 28th and the (positive) feedback was "thanks for posting it on time". I have chosen to interpret that as recognition that they were being really ridiculous and that I did the best I could. Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply