Ebay.com > Ebay.com.au

Hey everyone,

Just posting my concern as a new business owner, and noticing that the american ebay site fees are much lower compared to ebay.com.au in every aspect.

My main concern is the eBay store fees and sneak shoes over 100$. American eBay charges 7.95$US for the basic monthly store pack which is roughly 13$AU??

American eBay has a offer for potential sneaker sellers that any sneaker over 100$ would have zero finale fees?? Au eBay doesn't have this.

Australian eBay has a monthly store fee of $24.95 per a month, which reduces some final insertion fee's but its still not enough. My business does sell mostly fashion and sneakers. Whats the point of paying 24.95$ a month for 1.4% sales reduction on my final fees, for me this is the biggest concern.

Basic Aus eBay fees are 10.9% final fee.

I'm a fairly small business, which is a part time thing but the fee's are cutting much needed $$ for expanding operiations. 

There should be an enquiry from eBay management to provide a better service, i have no idea how long the fee's have been instated or when they have been updated. 

If someone could give me a run down on my best options hit me up please, i'm considering just using eBay.com if thats an option.

Thanks guys!

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Ebay.com > Ebay.com.au

eBay Australia doesn't really need to compete for sellers, eBay US does, and in shows a bit when you do comparisons like that. Pros and cons are really something only you can weigh up, but here's some things people don't always think of at first, that I'd personally put under 'con'. 

If you list on eBay US, you have to ship to the US, all of your prices must be in USD, and you will be paying conversion fees to get it changed to AUD. (This will affect your accounting - you will probably need to do it daily so that you can ensure exchange rate fluctuations don't put your figures out, or use some software that can do it for you - you can keep a PayPal balance in USD and only convert when necessary, but also keep in mind that before the end of the year, eBay will be managing payments and I haven't seen any info yet about listing on another country's site and currency, but needing payments to go into your bank account in a different currency).

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Ebay.com > Ebay.com.au

Also, US sellers often offer free postage within USA.

With high postage costs from Aus to USA, you might find it difficult to compete.

image host
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Ebay.com > Ebay.com.au

@digital*ghost wrote:

eBay Australia doesn't really need to compete for sellers, eBay US does, and in shows a bit when you do comparisons like that. Pros and cons are really something only you can weigh up, but here's some things people don't always think of at first, that I'd personally put under 'con'. 

If you list on eBay US, you have to ship to the US, all of your prices must be in USD, and you will be paying conversion fees to get it changed to AUD. (This will affect your accounting - you will probably need to do it daily so that you can ensure exchange rate fluctuations don't put your figures out, or use some software that can do it for you - you can keep a PayPal balance in USD and only convert when necessary, but also keep in mind that before the end of the year, eBay will be managing payments and I haven't seen any info yet about listing on another country's site and currency, but needing payments to go into your bank account in a different currency).

Many years since I've sold on American Ebay but I had some specific collectibles, old Coca Cola stuff and dime banks etc, that achieved much higher prices there than here, so listed them directly on their site. I don't recall conversion being a problem, or it being costly. It all went like clockwork at that time, although that was probably about 8 years ago? 

Unfortunately not recent so can't offer advice now. As far as is it worth it, I would say only if selling something unique of highly sought after. Selling sneakers for over $100 surely there would be a whopping profit anyway to cover fees

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Ebay.com > Ebay.com.au

Whoever PayPal performs the conversion for, is the one who pays the conversion fees. If you list in AUD and a buyer pays in USD, PayPal perform the conversion for the buyer, and so the fees are built into the conversion rate, if you list in USD and convert it to AUD either at the time of the purchase, or later within your account, the conversion is performed for the seller and so they pay the fees. 

Not sure how many years ago you were listing, but as the fee is a percentage of the amount, it was probably less noticeable because our dollar was a lot better against the USD a few years back, we even got above parity for a brief time, and the fee was lower (it's now 4% for a direct conversion at the time of payment, ever so slightly lower if it's done manually within an account). 

Shoes are cheaper in the US than they are in Aus, so to be honest I doubt you'd get the same prices over there for them that you would here, and I suspect any listing for shoes in USD, Aussie buyers would expect to see closer to US prices than they would Aus prices. (Also, I mentioned the seller has to ship to the US as I looked at one of their listings last night and it's set to post to Aus only, so they will at least need to add one country for international shipping by listing on another site). 

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Ebay.com > Ebay.com.au

Thanks for the informative replies guys.

I think the monthly eBay au store final fee's should be abit better discounted % or maybe bring 10$ off the subscription. Idk if i'm the only one who thinks that? 

Yea there is profit in sneakers i didn't complain, i was actually more curious about the subscription price it seems wack.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Ebay.com > Ebay.com.au

Pretty much everyone would like eBay's fees to be lower, but as anyone who's racked up a bit of experience on here has learned, eBay does what eBay does and aren't fussed about seller's opinions.

You can try to redirect the glacier, or simply accept it's going in the direction that it is and try not to get your feet soaked by the meltwater.

Ok, poor analogy. But when life gives you lemons...sometimes that's better than establishing your own lemon orchard, cultivating and breeding productive trees, then waiting several years for them to bear fruit.

In other words, a rolling stone is worth two stitches in the hand of a mossy bird, give or take a mile.

Ok I've stopped.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Ebay.com > Ebay.com.au

@dripcollectables wrote:

i was actually more curious about the subscription price it seems wack.

The other contributing factor, is that while there is more options for sellers in the US for where to sell products, they also have a considerably larger population (nearly 330 million compared to around 25 million in Aus going by current stats), so there's an economy of scale component to it as well - I don't have any figures, I imagine they are much lower than the following examples, but it still highlights a massive difference - let's just say 5% of a country's population runs an eBay store, and they're all basic.... Smiley Very Happy that would give eBay US 16.5 million stores x $7.95 per month, or just over $131 million USD per month in store fees, while for eBay AU it'd be 1.5 million stores x $24.95 and $37 million AUD per month (nearly $24 mil in USD compared to $131 mil)

Or, in short, the US population and economy means they can effectively get "bulk" rates. 

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply