Ebay estimated delivery dates

Hi all, just thought i would share a response from ebay about estimated delivery dates. I have just put a sentence on all my listings to NOT rely on the ebay estimated delivery date as they are often incorrect. We are getting more cases opened against us from international buyers because the item had not arrived in expected time, yet we posted same day as purchase.

This is their response

Just to inform you that eBay estimated delivery date, is not incorrect. It is eBay system who calculated this, it is a collective data. We based it on other seller who delivered the same item from the item location, same as to you, posted to the location of the buyer. As long as your listing has the correct handling time, dimensions and weight. Then there is no reason for your item to be posted to your buyer, late.

What a joke, customs and postal delays overseas are plenty of reasons for delay in delivery. Sellers can never be on the right side, no matter if you post instantly, it is still our fault if the item is delayed.

I'm starting to get very tired of their nonsense and we have been selling for 19 years.

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

ebay also believe that there are mail deliveries on public holidays 

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

@yoda007 wrote:

Hi all, just thought i would share a response from ebay about estimated delivery dates. I have just put a sentence on all my listings to NOT rely on the ebay estimated delivery date as they are often incorrect. We are getting more cases opened against us from international buyers because the item had not arrived in expected time, yet we posted same day as purchase.

This is their response

Just to inform you that eBay estimated delivery date, is not incorrect. It is eBay system who calculated this, it is a collective data. We based it on other seller who delivered the same item from the item location, same as to you, posted to the location of the buyer. As long as your listing has the correct handling time, dimensions and weight. Then there is no reason for your item to be posted to your buyer, late.

What a joke, customs and postal delays overseas are plenty of reasons for delay in delivery. Sellers can never be on the right side, no matter if you post instantly, it is still our fault if the item is delayed.

I'm starting to get very tired of their nonsense and we have been selling for 19 years.

They might like to edit that - 'not incorrect' equals correct. And they admit it is a guess.

Plus you're assuming buyers read the fine print, much less any of the description. Also, your disclaimer will not prevent a buyer opening a case for INR, nor stop eBay refunding them with your money if tracking doesn't show delivered.

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

@yoda007 wrote:

This is their response

They might like to edit that - 'not incorrect' equals correct. And they admit it is a guess.

Plus you're assuming buyers read the fine print, much less any of the description. Also, your disclaimer will not prevent a buyer opening a case for INR, nor stop eBay refunding them with your money if tracking doesn't show delivered.

They wouldn't want to edit it as that is exactly what they mean-they believe the ebay estimated delivery date is correct.

But yes, it it based on a best guess.

Presumably they look at all the replies to "Did your item arrive by such and such a date?"

This is where it would be good if they didn't use the answer to penalise sellers who posted on time but whose goods arrive 'late'. At the moment some buyers don't reply at all if an item was late, they don't want to affect the seller.

People really need to be able to give honest answers because if all the time they see people ticking yes, they assume their estimates are bang on accurate.

And often they are not.

Not much point putting a sentence like that in an ad though, I agree. Just puts buyers' backs up to some extent. Sounds a bit like making excuses for slow postage. I know maybe it is not, but it can sound like it.

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

The reason I thought I should put it on is we have buyers that are upset that their item didn't arrive as ebay estimated as they need the item for a special event and want their money back if it doesnt arrive in time for the event.. The last one said she would never have bought if she thought it would not get there in the specified time.

I realise as sellers we don't have a leg to stand on and cases will still get opened regarding this but thought it might limit it.

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

@yoda007 wrote:

This is their response

I read that as them thinking you were posting outside of your handling time, hence the item arriving after the estimate.

The really annoying thing about the estimate is buyers see it as gospel. I've lost track of how many feedbacks I've seen for sellers where they have complained it's 1 or 2 days late. I blame ebay for that. After all, they tell buyers if it hasn't arrived by the date in the listing, they can have their money back and then keep the item when it arrives the next day.

This is the very reason I blew my handling time out to 5 days, but still post same or next day. It fattens out the estimate.

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@yoda007 wrote:

This is their response

I read that as them thinking you were posting outside of your handling time, hence the item arriving after the estimate.

The really annoying thing about the estimate is buyers see it as gospel. I've lost track of how many feedbacks I've seen for sellers where they have complained it's 1 or 2 days late. I blame ebay for that. After all, they tell buyers if it hasn't arrived by the date in the listing, they can have their money back and then keep the item when it arrives the next day.

This is the very reason I blew my handling time out to 5 days, but still post same or next day. It fattens out the estimate.

That is how I read it too. In fact, if i were the seller, I would be highlighting that sentence and replying to ebay. Don't let accusations like that slip past. I would say that no, I post very quickly after a sale, within 24 hours, but have no control over the postal service.

But to do that, the seller would need to have proof of date of postage.

I think it is sensible of sellers to extend their handling time out to cover themselves. I also think ebay is not happy this is happening as it is making estimated delivery times look slower. I am sure at times they think to themselves- eg this or that seller should not be taking 5 days to post an item. They don't realise often the sellers post within a day, they are just covering their backsides.

Ebay would be better to take note only of postage dates, not arrival dates. And reward sellers who have proof of postage within 48 hours of a sale.

Yes, buyers do see the estimated arrival date as pretty much the benchmark. Nothing is going to change that.

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

Very simple solution is to get rid of the estimated arrival dates all together and finally stop punishing sellers for things that are out of the sellers control.

Rules need to be based on facts and not fiction Woman Frustrated

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

I read somewhere else in another thread that ebay was thinking of introducing some sort of category for sellers where they could opt in to a system where they guarantee to post items within a certain time frame. I forget exactly what the time frame was, but 24-48 hours I assume, or something like that.

I think if sellers could opt into that (and only that condition) where they uploaded proof with tracking number, then ebay could change the focus to 'Recommended seller, Guaranteed postage out to you within 48 hours.' That is something that sellers have control over, it's factual and can be proven.

Although ebay writes estimated arrival times, they are just that, estimates.

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

The last 8-10 late shipping defects/feedbacks I have had removed because items were posted on time but it is still a pain having to ring ebay constantly to get them removed.I did notice before all my sales died that when recieving these late shipment defects that my sales dropped until they removed them??

I have now worked out that I have had to include a leaflet in with my items explaining that if the buyer leaves me a late shipment defect due to Australia posts delivery time it is affecting my ebay.Sice doing this I have hardly had any late shipment defects put against me.

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply