Ebay forcing immediate payment if paying by PayPal?

Wondering if anyone has noticed this.

Today I had a buyer try to purchase something and it took them directly to the payment page, which is strange since I don't have the immediate payment required selected. The buyer wanted to buy today and pay another day which I have no issues with!

So I used another account to try and purchase my own item (without committing of course) to see if I could see what they saw.

And indeed when I select buy-it-now Ebay takes me directly to the payment page where I have to choose a form of payment. If I chose PayPal, it took me to PayPal directly. If I choose bank deposit then I was offered to the usual "commit to buy" option.

This isn't ideal since people might want to buy more than one item and making them pay immediately discourages that!

Has anyone experienced this or know how to get around it?
Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Ebay forcing immediate payment if paying by PayPal?

@*bellee* wrote:
Wondering if anyone has noticed this.

Today I had a buyer try to purchase something and it took them directly to the payment page, which is strange since I don't have the immediate payment required selected. The buyer wanted to buy today and pay another day which I have no issues with!

Has anyone experienced this or know how to get around it?

I created a thread about it on the eBay Buying board a few weeks ago. It is not your seller or your buyer settings it is eBay forcing buyers to pay because they think that will reduce an amount of unpaid cases. Quite silly on their side to think so but it is going to be done for everyone.

As Lyndal says the cart is the only option now, the only question is how is to make your buyers aware of that.

However if it just a single item in the cart or items in it all have free postage your buyer cannot request total from you.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

@lane-ends wrote:

@lovetocraft2009 wrote:
me too!
all my listing require "immediate payment" although it is not ticked in my listings and I have bank deposit and local pick up, ebay is just useless on the problem

Go via accounts>site prefeerences>postage preferences and select accept combined payments and postage. This brings back the commit to buy prior to pay now so that items can be combined

It is not going to help. It is not in your account settings and you cannot opt in/out from it. It is confirmed by eBay that they have done  it on purpose. There was even a chat with eBay representetive a few weeks ago on these boards and a few sellers complained about it being implemented., eBay confirmed to them they did it to stop unpaid item cases. They did not look tlike hey were interested to hear  any reasons why it's not doing any good to anyboady.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

I adjusted those settings when you mentioned it awhile back, but buyers are still being forced into immediate payment on BIN items. I wonder why auctions can just sit there and aren't forced into immediate payment upon winning?

I know one of the options is to offer free postage and increase my price, but most of my things would be a turn off. $10 with $8 postage doesn't look anywhere near as expensive as $18 with free postage. Buyers know it's only worth $10 so won't look twice at it if it says $18, regardless of the postage.

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply