Ebay trust and safety not following their own rules for sellers

Ebay removed an item of surplus military clothing from my scheduled listings (not a live listing) and even though I had the correct permission from the Australian Government stating I was allowed to sell surplus items clearly included in the photos and description, ebay stated to me, both in the chat session and via phone call that their rules take priority over everything else. When I asked why they were not following their own rules in regards to their own policy allow such items (see below), they refused to answer this and instead told me the item was removed to protect my account!

Use of Defence Emblems

It is an offence under the Defence Act 1903 for a person to make, supply or offer to supply a defence emblem without the written authority of the Minister of Defence or a person as authorised in writing by the minister. Any listing of a Defence emblems must clearly show this written authority. 

I'd like someone from ebay to actually explain to me why on the one hand they have clearly stated rules and yet, they do not always follow them. For this removal, I had a warning issued and a 3 day suspension for any other infringements.

Jamey

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

eBay do not read here, this is a member to member forum

All I can suggest is you contact eBay again and request to speak with a supervsior for their explanation 

The cs reps read from scripts that tell them what to say

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Hi sandypebbles,

Trust me when I say I've contacted ebay on over 20 occasions in the last month (I find dealing with the 11th customer service person I usually get someone with workable levels of english to deal with). I'm posting here out of utter frustration at ebays lack of clear responses and in my opinion, obvious double standards. I have a number of seller friends who tell me of similar stories and it would be great to hear from others who have experienced what I'm going through. Hopefully the ebay staff who will read this and other responses may come to the conclusion that their real job is actually 'customer service' and follow their own published rules.

Jamey

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

As I said, nobody from ebay do not reads members posts on the forum

All the base level eBay staff read from the same pre-written scripts so will all give similar answers or cut off the chat if it's 'too hard'

You need an actual supervisor, not a 'regular' cs rep

A supervisor may have knowledge of basic polices

Which cs do not and have not been trained in (hence the scripts/prompts) used

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Spoke with a supervisor this morning, just before I started this thread. he pretty much stated the same as all the others and read from the same corporate text book. When I asked his if he could help me - yes or no, he ignored my question and stated again, the decision was taken to 'protect my account'. No amount of evidence I presented to him made any difference and after 13 minutes of him reading excerpts from the policy over and over he ended the conversation with 'I hope I have been of assistance today in explaining our rules for selling on ebay and hung up. A total waste of time for all chat sessions and phone call, which must amount to 10 or so hours at least. frustrating and not a way a business should treat their loyal sellers.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

If you have the written permission in the form prescribed (โ€œwritten authority of the Minister of Defence or a person as authorised in writing by the ministerโ€), you can try the following:

โ€ข Contact eBay CS again and ask for a supervisor;

โ€ข explain that you have the โ€œwritten authority of the Minister of Defence or a person as authorised in writing by the ministerโ€ and would like to upload it to them or email it through (have PDF of this permission);

โ€ข ask for the upload link or appropriate email address;

โ€ข be very very very polite throughout this process without so much as a hint of impatience;

โ€ข upload/email as appropriate;

โ€ข stay on the line/chat until you receive confirmation that the document has been received;

โ€ข ask for confirmation that your listing can be posted.

Are you completely sure that your permission is in the required form?

Best of luck; I hope it can be resolved.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply