Essential Services. Is posting our packages deemed an Essential Service

Essential Services?  Is posting our packages deemed an Essential Service? I can not find any information on weather our postings at our post offices during a Lockdown is considered an Essential service. 

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I remember that during the lockdown last year many people bought more than ever online and AusPost had record numbers of parcels to deliver, and it is probably the case now too (at any rate many people will buy more than usual online if they can't go to the shops), so it should be fine, but make sure you keep the receipt after posting your items, so if you are caught in the street and they ask you what you are doing, you tell them you went to the post office.

Most post offices are open and are considered an essential service, so sellers who use this essential service are part of it I think, as well as buyers who have to go to the post office because they missed the parcel contractor.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Queensland health states:

This means if you live in a locked down area you can only leave your residence to:

• perform essential work or volunteering or an essential business, activity or undertaking that cannot be done from your residence

So this can be read as posting your parcels are essential to carry on your business.    Commonsense would dictate that you use the red boxes as much as possible,  wear a mask whenever you are outside your home, and go straight to the PO and back, without stopping for any non-essential shopping or activity.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Have you asked your state health department ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply. Still looking into what other sellers think or know about this topic. Watch this space.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

To add, it would depend on several other factors as well and not be the same for all sellers

For example, some sellers may live more than 10km from the post office, but not be allowed to travel more than 5km from home

Would going to the PO be considered part of a person's allowance of one shopping trip per person per household , per day limit?

It is really about what the actual rules are, rather than personal opinions in situations like this 

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I remember that during the lockdown last year many people bought more than ever online and AusPost had record numbers of parcels to deliver, and it is probably the case now too (at any rate many people will buy more than usual online if they can't go to the shops), so it should be fine, but make sure you keep the receipt after posting your items, so if you are caught in the street and they ask you what you are doing, you tell them you went to the post office.

Most post offices are open and are considered an essential service, so sellers who use this essential service are part of it I think, as well as buyers who have to go to the post office because they missed the parcel contractor.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Queensland health states:

This means if you live in a locked down area you can only leave your residence to:

• perform essential work or volunteering or an essential business, activity or undertaking that cannot be done from your residence

So this can be read as posting your parcels are essential to carry on your business.    Commonsense would dictate that you use the red boxes as much as possible,  wear a mask whenever you are outside your home, and go straight to the PO and back, without stopping for any non-essential shopping or activity.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply