Excellent feedback in exchange for low price

I've a couple of times recently received low offers from buyers, who have indicated that if I accept that they will leave me excellent feedback. 

No that didn't induce me.  But I do wonder about the ethics.

It would appear that instead of there being a simple contract of goods in exchange for moeny, there is now an additional element being invoked by the buyer.  This would seem unfair. 

What does this erudite community think?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I should think that would come under feedback extortion which is not allowed and report the buyer(s) to eBay 

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/feedback-policies/feedback-extortion-policy?id=4230

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I should think that would come under feedback extortion which is not allowed and report the buyer(s) to eBay 

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/feedback-policies/feedback-extortion-policy?id=4230

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Simple.

It againsts eBay rules.

Anything that can be construed as manipulating a price or feedback extortion.

image host
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Well I don't know if this could be classified as "feedback extortion" which is ususally a threat of bad feeback if you don't comply with something. Personally, I would not feel comfortable with this, and unless you have "or nearest offer" in your listing, they should not be approaching you with offers. I would actually think about blocking them if the offer was very low, considering that they may buy at the full price when you don't comply and leave you bad feedback instead.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

From the link

Buyers can't use the threat of negative (or promise of positive) Feedback to get a seller to provide goods or services that weren't included in the original item's description or purchase price. Similarly, they can't use Feedback to force a seller to accept a return, or give a refund, if they're not required to by the terms of their listing, or the eBay Money Back Guarantee

But the positive side of things might depend on who you get on the other end at eBay cs

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

as mentioned by another poster, blocking them and declining their low offer should be considered.

I have no opinion about whether the message is unethical, or constitutes feedback extortion as this is the world we live in nowadays.

But, then again, I haven’t sold for ages and when I do start up again I will not be depending on the funds from selling to live.  It will be for hobby and fun . . . . . if selling on eBay can be described as fun.

I may feel differently if I depended on eBay to maintain a lifestyle or feed my family.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

" there is now an additional element being invoked by the buyer."

Only if sellers allow it.

"What does this erudite community think?"

Ignore...no communication.

BBL & move on.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

yes I did have ONO
Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Anyone who dared send me a message like that would be insta-blocked.

How egotistical does someone have to be to think their little green dot, in sea of many others, saying "great item" is worth paying for? Smiley Surprised Smiley LOL

Seriously, though, this is just an indication of the oft-misguided belief that feedback is the most important thing to a seller. JMHO, it should be the least important, in terms of what motivates a seller to do something. 

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

I’d go so far as removing ‘or best offer’ from the listing just to send them a message.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply