Experienced buyer wins item after bidding war with newbie but now wants cheaper price.

I had an auction item finish last night where an experienced buyer (1250+ feedback) got into a bidding war with a newbie (25 feedback) and won the item.

The experienced buyer placed 11 seperate bid - including a last second bid before it ended when she was already the highest bidder. 

This morning I received a message from her saying that she is " a bit worried " she paid too much (she hasnt paid at all yet) as " $80 is a lot of money and would you please consider dropping the price"

She states that she " would be happy paying $50- $60"

There is no way I am having any piece of that! 

How do I get out of this without a defect please?????

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Experienced buyer wins item after bidding war with newbie but now wants cheaper price.

Anonymous
Not applicable

its easy

you tell her no.. .and if she chooses to not pay or cancel the order then you ride out a "unpaid item dispute case" or cancel the sale as "buyer requested cancellation"

then you can offer the item to the next bidder

you wont get any defects. She has no leg to stand on here. She agreed to pay $80 by her bids

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

I am thinking that when I say no - she may pay for it and then open an INAD case, leave low star rating or even leave negative feedback.
Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

If she does that you have evidence that she was suffering buyer remorse in her message.  Point eBay's CS officer to that message and explain that when you refused the lower price she decided to use the system to get out of the transaction anyway.  It's pretty transparent, they should find in your favour.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

you cant worry about what may happen. You cant let a buyer hold you for ransom

Construct a sensible and to the point response about why you cannot do it. Be polite and friendly and see what happens

Tell the buyer that you can only accept full payment of this item and if they are having buyers remorse then you will be happy to cancel their order for them. No harm done

Keep all communications with the buyer through ebay so you have it there in case you need it

If us sellers always give in to demands of buyers through fear of negatives/defects when we might as well pack up and leave

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

If you cancel the order if she does not pay, they can still leave feedback. If you open an UID and once closed they cannot leave feedback.
Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Taking onboard everyone's suggestions, I replied, very politely, that not only would it be unfair to the other bidder to accept a lower price but I would also find it unethical and not in the sprit of an auction to do so.

I added that if she no longer wnted to complete the transaction, I would be happy to offer it to the second highest bidder.

Her reply:-

"Well could you at least remove the postage charge"

I am consuming copious amount of good chocolate right now before responding Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

its easy

you tell her no.. .and if she chooses to not pay or cancel the order then you ride out a "unpaid item dispute case" or cancel the sale as "buyer requested cancellation"

then you can offer the item to the next bidder

you wont get any defects. She has no leg to stand on here. She agreed to pay $80 by her bids

I would definitely do this. Thats just plain nasty of them to go back on their word.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Would you consider instead, at your expense, adding signature on delivery. This would also stop your customer from saying it didn't arrive. You could say you are value-adding for their benifit. 

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dresscode2479 wrote:

Taking onboard everyone's suggestions, I replied, very politely, that not only would it be unfair to the other bidder to accept a lower price but I would also find it unethical and not in the sprit of an auction to do so.

I added that if she no longer wnted to complete the transaction, I would be happy to offer it to the second highest bidder.

Her reply:-

"Well could you at least remove the postage charge"

I am consuming copious amount of good chocolate right now before responding Smiley Happy

fairly obvious what you need to do here.... stick to your guns. she can either pay up in full or cancel

Her true colours are coming through now

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply