Expired Listings still governed by Ebay

Contacted Ebay with a question today:

When a listing has expired, is it still governed by Ebay policies?

This is in relation to getting an offer from a buyer for an expired item - usually "I noticed your item didn't sell, I can pickup today and pay cash".  These are always buyers who did not bid on the initial listing.  We all know there are buyers that sweep through unsold items looking for bargains and I seem to be encountering plenty of them at the moment.

Am I breaching policy if I agree to the sale without relisting it again?  Ebay policy about member-to-member offers governs 'Listed Items'.  Is the buyer also breaching policy for making an offer to purchase outside of ebay - even though the item is no longer listed?

The Ebay representative acknowledged it as a grey area so I am none the wiser.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Expired Listings still governed by Ebay

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html

I'd say it's ok to sell privately, as it's not a current listing

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

As it's no longer a current listing and you don't intend to list it again then it's ok to sell it privately.

I'm not having ago at you here ( others may think otherwise lol) but why would you even bother to ask ebay for permission?

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I agree - say you had a table for sale, listed it on ebay, didn't sell.

How long are you going to hang on to the table, before you try and sell it elsewhere?

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks, no offence, I wanted to clarify where I stood as I had a warning about selling privately when I had ended one of my lisitings.  They can restrict my selling etc if I violate policy on private selling.

My query is: What is to stop any seller getting an offer from a buyer, ending the listing using one of the excuses such as "Item no longer for sale" or "Item lost/broken" etc and then selling to the buyer privately?  We've all done it as buyers and sellers.

If Ebay's rules still govern Unlisted/Epired items then I am violating policy if I sell it to a person I am communicating with via EBay.  They can see from my messages to the buyer what my intention is (to sell privately) and you are not supposed to provide contact details to a buyer so you can take it off-line so giving a buyer my mobile and saying 'call me' is also a violation.

Give the amount of 'throttling' I believe I am exposed to, if a buyer sees my items after the auction has ended then Ebay didn't really faciliate that sale did they?  

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@stable05 wrote:

My query is: What is to stop any seller getting an offer from a buyer, ending the listing using one of the excuses such as "Item no longer for sale" or "Item lost/broken" etc and then selling to the buyer privately? 

The two scenarios are completely different.

If you end an item specifically so that you can then sell it outside of eBay, to a buyer who contacted you via eBay, it is a breach of policy, and selecting 'item is no longer available' is, well basically a lie. 😉

An item that ends 'naturally' is no longer being offered for sale on eBay, and as such the contract terms no longer apply, because they expire at the end of the agreed-upon timeframe. It's not a grey area, as the eBay rep attempted to suggest, as even with 'Good til' cancelled' listings, the contract terms apply until the seller ends the listing themselves (but it remains a policy breach to end an item specifically so it can be sold outside of eBay).

Member policies may apply to certain communication aspects, which obviously would make things difficult (if not impossible), but no site policies can apply to the item in question. They might frown on a buyer contacting a seller to ask about an item that's already ended, and they may have policies about members sharing contact info via eBay messages, but a seller has 0 obligation to make it available on eBay again in order to facilitate the purchase, and a buyer has 0 obligation to purchase via eBay if the item is not currently under any of eBay's site policies.

That being said, personally, I err on the side of caution 99% of the time. If a buyer contacts me about an ended item and it is still available, I only ever offer to relist it at X buy it now price - I was prepared to pay the fees before, so it's no skin off my nose to relist. As I do custom-made items as well, I get enquiries about items that basically don't even exist yet, let alone are listed on eBay, but even with those I walk a pretty straight line and just say I'll make it then list it on eBay. Sometimes they've purchased from me before, so have my PP email address and contact me that way, in which case eBay isn't even remotely involved and I just send an invoice if they decide to purchase. 

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply