Express Post is not Express as we used to know.

Just been going back and forward with emails with Aussie post for 2 hours now and finally have an answer.

I posted an Express post item on Monday last week and the customer received it Friday ....4 days. It should have arrived Thursday at the latest.

Anyway, it appears now that only 80% of Australia is covered by the Express post network. If the item you are posting falls outside the network, it goes NO faster than regular mail.  What a rip off.  They take extra money from us for a service they do not provide to some areas AND they don't tell us about it. It explains why the postcode delivery areas are not shown on the back anymore. 

I used the calculator below and there was no difference in delivery time for Express or regular to this customer as their postcode is " Outside the network "

It means more work, but in future I will be checking my customers postcode 1st, before charging express post. I will also need to contact the customer and let them know if there postcode falls outside the " Network "

Anyone else had problems with this happening ?

https://contactus.auspost.com.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/880/related/1

How can I send my item urgently if the origin or destination fall outside the Express Post network?

You can still use Express Post for delivery to or from areas that fall outside the Express Post network.

While next day delivery is not guaranteed, your item will still be processed, handled and delivered as fast as possible.

Use our online postage calculator for an estimate of when your parcel might arrive.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

yes. I hear you loud and clear (unlike AusPost's communication methods). Anyone else reading this I am a big fan of FAIRNESS using any business.

I posted an express post parcel from Brisbane to Perth on a Monday and it didn't arrive until Thursday. When I tried to get compensation for such a delay, it was denied, even though it says quite clearly on the front on the yellow express post satchel " Next day guaranteed" there is a tiny cross (which so much smaller font than the " Next day" font that unless you have a magnifying glass with you it’s very hard to see it. AusPost said it was outside the Express Post Network. Now, I have very good eyesight but I doubt whether 

other older people would be as sharp as me and be able to pick up this tiny cross. Most elderly people would not even have internet to research this stuff before they come to the post office (Please note: I didn't say ALL elderly people don't have internet at home or cannot use it, I said SOME of them).

I just arrived home 30 Dec 2015, from a 2 months overseas working holiday and I asked my elderly mother who has poor eye sight from diabetes to post me an express post document before 5pm at the post office 30 dec 2015 to arrive to me 31 Dec 2015. The Auspost worker behind the counter took her money for the yellow express post envelope and my mother inserted the documents I needed but the worker did not tell my mother that there was to be no postage 31 Dec 2015 and that my document would not arrive until Monday 4th January. I was pacing up and down the garden path all day until 4.30pm 31 Dec 2015 until I had to call her to see if she had received her usual post. She had not. I live in Queensland so of course my time was 4.45pm but in Sydney the time was 5.45pm (due to day light saving).

I was now panicking because I had missed the offices in Sydney to scan the postal documents I was waiting for. I was furious because if I had known there was no postal service 31 Dec 2015 I would have driven to my mother’s house the night before (about a 1 hour drive away) and picked up the documents myself in person. Of course when I filed for compensation it was denied even though Auspost didn’t deliver on a day that Australia was open for business.

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

If you had bothered to read the AP website over the Christmas break you would have seen it in multiple places that express post would take longer due to down days. It said quite clearly that the earliest delivery would be Monday the 4th. You won't be compensated because they had made the information public well before Christmas.

It is also well known that areas outside the express network don't arrive over night. Most of the time they take 2 days, but can take 3. It also states that clearly on the AP website, which as you have internet, have full access to. As it still arrived within their stated time, you are not entitled to any compensation. If it had taken 4 days, then yes, you would be entitled to a refund of the postage cost.

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

Hi. technically you may be 100% right but as I already said I was working overseas for past 2 months.  I was building houses in a remote village of Africa for those people who are less fortunate than ouselves, do not have a house and they definately do not have internet over there.

I also said that my mother is almost blind and of course does not have internet.

God bless you for trying to help anyway.

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

You have already received the same information in the other thread that you started.

There is no need to increase the font size in your posts.....most of us elderly people with internet access can also read normal sized printing.

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

@supershifters wrote:

Hi. technically you may be 100% right but as I already said I was working overseas for past 2 months.  I was building houses in a remote village of Africa for those people who are less fortunate than ouselves, do not have a house and they definately do not have internet over there.

I also said that my mother is almost blind and of course does not have internet.

given your recent work experiences may I respectfully suggest you take another look at your Aust Post issues and put them into perspective.

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

Hi Lyndal, thanks could you please send me the link as I couldn't/can't find it? If it's ok with you could I continue to use the same sized font that I started on this thread and a similar (not exact) sized font the OP used? Thank you.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

Look in the Answer Centre on 20th January....Packaging and Shipping.

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

@supershifters wrote:

No technically about it, I am right because it was all there. It is not AP's fault that you weren't up to date with the very public, easily accessible information. The 31st is an AP public holiday and has been for years, it's their picnic day. That has never been a secret either.

Maybe you should think about the people you were helping and what they've got (or don't have more to the point) before you start making such a fuss over something that was your own fault. Have some perspective. Maybe you should have gone to visit your blind mother instead of asking her to post something. After being away for 2 months, she may have been really happy to see you, especially if she's really elderly.

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

I am pretty sure almost every adult person in the country would know 31st Dec and 1st Jan backing on to a weekend means 4 days off for most businesses & services.  Your fault, don't blame APO!

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply