Fake bidders .... supposedly

Hi,

I recently auctioned off a new nintendo 3ds console.  it was a limited edition.

I noticed a few bidders with 0 feedback bidding.

I received an email from a bidder saying that I was having fake bidders bidding on my auction and jacking the price up.

The auction sold to a bidder with 160+ feedback in the end.

My question is, why would I have fake bidders bidding on my auction?  Even if the supposed fake bidder won, if they paid (then I would assume they were genuine), or if they dont pay then it gets relisted anyway.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Fake bidders .... supposedly

It's called shill bidding, it's an unlawful practice where unscrupulous sellers either create other IDs to place bids on thier own items, or have friemds bid on their items, just to get the bidding started and perhaps drive the bidding higher.  The intention is not for the fake bidder to win, just to make genuine bidders go higher than they mght have otherwise done.

Sounds like this bidder was suspicious of the zero feedback bids.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

the thing is it was my auction! and I definitely wasnt doing that...as in getting friends to bid for me to jack my own auction price up.  So was it just by chance I had a few new ebay bidders with 0 feedback? or is there some other scam I am not aware of?

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

There was only one zero feedback bidder on it, they were winning after 5 bids at $400.00 then nibble bid up to $450.00 when they gave up (or ran out of time to bid again).

I must admit it does look a bit sus at first glance since they had 100% bidding on your item, so I can understand the winner questioning it - however they didn't retract any bids which a shiller would do since they don't want to win, just push the price up.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

2 bidders with 0 and 1 bidder with only 1.  

weird to have  3 new ebayers bidding on an expensive item.

and it wasnt the winning bidder that questioned it either.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Padi,you may need these,Corny_cleaning-glasses.gif

As stated one of the 0 bidder was bidding up to $ 430 and then stopped bidding,(they bid 7 times on this auction

with 58% of bids with your auction).

e***u ( 0 )  New eBay Member (less than 30 days)   AU $430.00
17-Feb-15 16:22:41 AEDST

e***o ( 0 )  New eBay Member (less than 30 days)   AU $450.00
17-Feb-15 18:45:53 AEDST

The other 0 bidder kept bidding but their last bid was 6 seconds before the item ended,(the winner put on their

high bid over 3 hours before it ended).

They bid three times on the auction,(at a 100%).

They were trying to win the item,(as stated a shill bidder only wants to up the price not win the auction).

Just direct the member that Emailed you to this thread,(that way they can see that there was no shill bidding).

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

I'm a failure Taz, steamed up glasses and the fact that the coffee hadn't kicked in is my only pathetic excuse...... smack.gif   

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply