Feedback extortion from buyer

Today I received a negative feedback from a buyer, after over 1240 feedbacks for 100% positive reputation.

The buyer bought something that is a spare part of a larger set.

Upon receiving it, buyer demanded that I send him the full set.

Naturally I refused, but I offered him refund if he return the item to me.

He then threatened me with negative, and  now after I maintain that refund will be given if the item is returned, 

He posted a negative feedback and claim for goods not as described.

Simply looking at the feedback he gave to other sellers you can see that this buyer is a liar and a predator that regularly use this trick to obtain goods.

I have sent an email to ebay reporting this extortion, but I wonder if ebay would do anything about it.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Unfortunetly eBay attracts alot of dodgy buyers who are out to rip off sellers. 

This is why it is why to block buyers that have unpaid items strikes etc.

I suggest you use the buyer requirments function.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

As you have reported them, eBay should take a look at messages between yourself and the buyer, if they agree that the buyer was using neg feedback to extort you, they should remove the neg. (If everything you say is true, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't remove it, but there are no guarantees). 

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

As long as your listing was very clear that you are selling only 1 part, and NOT the whole kit, you should be right.  But if your listing is deceptive, and the buyer could realistically believe they are buying the whole set, then demanding the set under threat of bad FB is not considered extortion.

If you want us to judge, post the title of the item, so we can look.  🙂

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Should have go and read before I commented; the buyer does not say in his FB he wants full set, he says it broke after 2 days. 

Yes, you make it quite clear it is only a pencil, but why put the whole thing in the main photo?  You really should only have what is on offer; if you do need to illustrate what it belongs with, you can always put the second picture or in the text in description.  The problem ma arise if people buy from their phone and cannot read the description properly.

eBay will most likely remove the NEG though if you have the messages that he demands the full set.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Actually I did not put in picture in the original listing, however after a couple of queries I ended up putting the picture of the set.

I can see many sellers specially in the automotive section that can be exploited by similar scammer.

Anyhow, I have told ebay about the demand the buyer made, now I wait for the reply.

The buyer also file "not as described" to Paypal, and now it is on escalated claim..

I still maintain that for refund to be given, the item must be returned.

Btw, super nova, whats the implication on having your feedback changed to "Private" ?

Is it worthwhile?

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Btw, super nova, whats the implication on having your feedback changed to "Private" ?

Is it worthwhile?

This is my posting ID.  Many other people who have been posting on theses boards for many years  found that some nasty trolls can attack your selling ID and make lot of damage, it is recommended by eBay to have special ID for posting here.  i have bought few items to have the FB of 10 to be able tpo reply on AC, and occassionally I buy something on this ID when I could not be bothered logging out and logging into other ID.  And it is absolutely nobody's business what I buy 🙂

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

You can't change your feedback to private if you're a seller, anyway.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

gelandangan, is everything in the listing picture what was included in the sale?

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

I too agree that your picture would be considered misleading if the buyer had complained they did not get the full set,  the photo is of equal importance and if everything in it isn't included that should be made very clear, you need to say X,Y & Z not included rather than I am selling WW.

I also can't understand what you mean about posting to the buyer's paypal registered address? How would you even know what their PP registered address was?

I regularly have my items posted to about 6 different addresses on two different continents and only one of those is my Paypal registered address and there is never anything the seller will see that lets them know what my registered paypal address is..

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 19
Latest reply