Fees On Postage

Am not really a 'Seller' on eBay . . More of a buyer . . BUT - - Have recently sold a bowl for $300 - (Postage was $27 Odd Dollars ) . NOW - - As I can understand and  'Accept' their 'Seller Fee' . . What I CAN'T accept OR understand is WHY they have a right to hack into your postage costs - AS WELL .   My Question Is . . What The Hell Do THEY Have To Do With The Postage ??. . .

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Fees On Postage

Many threads on this as it's been here for more than 3 years.

Sellers were listing items for $1 with $500 postage to cheat the system.

So thank those members that we all pay now.

FVF's are now on total invoice.

But you can have a pack n handling charge so if postage cost 27 you could have had 30 as postage to cover your costs.

image host
Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

Fees On Postage

oh my, if that cheeses you off, wait until you receive your selling invoice . . . . where you will be charged GST on the eBay fee on postage Smiley Surprised

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

Fees On Postage

I'm starting to think you have a few standard responses saved for these forums Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

Fees On Postage

That would be for the myriad standard (as in, asked and answered many times before) questions that crop up on the boards.

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

Fees On Postage

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

oh my, if that cheeses you off, wait until you receive your selling invoice . . . . where you will be charged GST on the eBay fee on postage Smiley Surprised

Wait until OP has the 21 day hold on their funds

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

Fees On Postage

I know you didn’t come here to have your listings critiqued, but your listings need work.

Your $65 jam labels listing has a Buy-Now price of $65 with quantity of 3 available.  Is that 3 lots of 3 that you have?

The reason I ask is because your description says “$25 each or $65 for all three”. There is NO facility within that listing for a buyer to buy just one at $25.  If a buyer messages you saying “I am interested in buying one label from you” it will probably be construed by eBay as an attempt to buy off-eBay and if you reply to the message saying you will sell just one then eBay might suspend you for 7 days (this time) with a permanent ban if it happens again!

If you hardly sell, and have only just become aware of fees on postage, heaven help you when your seller status is downgraded if you don’t have 3 lots of 3 and get two different buyers buying at $65.

I’m not trying to be picky.  I just see that you are an inexperienced seller who needs this type of critique to avoid eBay sanctions.

edit: and for future reference don’t include “item is listed elsewhere and available for purchase elsewhere”.  That is almost inviting members to look for it elsewhere and you will have a short selling history.

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

Fees On Postage

my “edit comment” on my previous post was in relation to the $300 carnival glass sale.

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

Fees On Postage

After seeing k1000's comment about the $65 jam labels, I couldn't resist having a look.

He is right. At the moment, anyone reading your ad, who just wanted one label, has no way to buy one. 

The ad is lising one quantity as $65 ie 3 labels.

You'll be in trouble if 3 buyers come along.

The other problem I see is that the labels are all different. If I were a collector, there might be one in particular that I wanted, I might have the others for all you know. Yet I can't see any way in that particular ad to select one label, let alone one specific label. To my mind, they may be better off as separate listings.

As for ebay charging fees on postage. As someone said, in the past some sellers  thought they were being really sharp by charging a fortune for postage & a  cheap price for the item. That way they could avoid ebay fees. They probably did but here's the thing. It was intensely annoying for buyers. Extremely. It was in fact a trap for some. I haave a friend who told me  back then that she had just been  about to click to buy a nice little item & hadn't paid much attention to postage, assuming it would be about $8, then she noticed it was something like $50. Okay, her fault for not paying proper attention but I'd say a lot of buyers who were caught complained.

Hence the fees.

Plus-ebay likes to encourage 'free postage' which of course means postage included in the price. Those sellers would be at a disadvantage with fees if the competition advertised item & postage separately &  didn't pay any fee on postage.

Bottom line-it isn't going to change so keep calm & just allow for it in your charges-call it packing & handling fees if asked though, never ebay/paypal fees.

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

Fees On Postage

There was plenty of sellers who would start auctions at 99c with high postage prices that would sell for little more than the staring price. Ebay would get fees based on a few dollars and back then if there was a problem with an item you only paid a few dollars for it but it would cost a lot more to return it so you would write it off.

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply