General opinion on refunding for plants

Ebay originally was set up to sell 2nd hand goods online. A live trading post if you will.-the selling of "surplus to requirements". How it is has changed!!!!

So in the light of this how do live plants fall in the refund catergory?

Particularly under paypal policy a buyer can, tecnically, make a claim, return the dead plant via registered post within 45 days  and paypal will pay.

If I went to a nursery, bought a plant, planted it and 30 days later it died I would have no recourse.

Why?

Because growing conditions are out of the nurserymans control. Once it leaves the nursery in healthy condition nobody can guarantee it will grow for me, at my place, in my dirt under my care.

So why should plants sold on ebay be any different?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Has this happened to you yet or is it just a hypothetical question?

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

It's a hypothetical. But under current paypal policy it could happen.

It's more a question on how live plants are viewed under legal refund policies? Does anyone know?

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

wow, do you mean I should have been claiming refunds from Paypal for all my dead plants and seeds that didn't flourish?

On second thoughts, it would be way too embarrassing to have to make so many Paypal claims every season.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Sorry I posted by mistake.

Wouldn't you have to start a significantly not as described dispute if the plant dies?

So wouldn't it be based on how the plant was on arrival rather than 3 weeks after it arrived?

But if it arrives fresh and healthy you really would be hard pressed to prove it.

Maybe you should ask Paypal how they would deal with such a dispute.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Many offline and online nurseries offer refunds for plants that die within a certain time.

I also have a small nursery and sell plants on Ebay. I send growing instructions with the plant as well as on an email to the customer, ask them to let me know if the plant goes downhill so I can help before the plant actually dies, as well as having a money back guarantee if the plant dies within two months. I have only ever had one refund request.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Hahahahaha me too!

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

That last was for i-once-was-bump!

Mine are a little different as they are root divisions not potted. There are certain ebay sellers (retail nurseries), whom I will not buy from as I've learned their stock is too fragile, not robust enough, even if babied along in their pots- I've never claimed a refund from them.

So I wonder what the refund policy on live plants actually is?

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

LOL-just did a google search & there's a similar thread on US discussion board.Other than that,I couldn't find anything through google search so I guess you could log into Paypal & see if you can find an answer?

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Returns/Received-Live-Plants/5200080752

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

If I went to a nursery, bought a plant, planted it and 30 days later it died I would have no recourse.

A lot of places have a refund if it dies policy. As I can kill off the most robust of plants I have never had the nerve to take one back and display my ineptitude for all to see.

As items have to be returned in the same condition as received and they waited 30 days and sent back a deader they would not have complied.

I think this comes under the heading of worrying about something that is hardly likely to happen, the buyer would have to return by trackable post, probably cost nearly ten bucks for most of your items, to get back not much more.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 17
Latest reply