Getting a refund returned

I recently sold an old iPod on eBay. After the buyer paid, I posted the iPod to them via Sendle. When the iPod arrived not by due date, I started an investigation with Sendle. After a few days, Sendle reported the item as lost, so I duly sent the buyer a refund. Then Sendle announced the item had been found and the buyer confirmed it had arrived. (This is the second time Sendle has messed me around and I recommend no-one use them. ) I’ve had a little communication with the buyer, but not much over the past few days; they now have the iPod and I’m out of pocket for no good reason.  Are there procedures for getting a refund returned? Has anyone else had this situation?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@maison_full wrote:

Then Sendle announced the item had been found and the buyer confirmed it had arrived. 

If the buyer is not responding to messages it is highly unlikely they will respond with an email address - for payment.

You have the above information - contact eBay via ' chat ' - give them the details - in full.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Give the buyer your PayPal email address and ask them to send you the money, or ask for their PayPal email address and send them a payment request.

Usually you cannot exchange email addresses, but the bots seem to understand such situations, as I have been in such situations a few times and messages have never been blocked.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

@maison_full wrote:

Then Sendle announced the item had been found and the buyer confirmed it had arrived. 

If the buyer is not responding to messages it is highly unlikely they will respond with an email address - for payment.

You have the above information - contact eBay via ' chat ' - give them the details - in full.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Just as an aside, your listings state Ebay Postage Labels (sendle) but then are charging AP prices.  Not really fair to your buyers in my opinion.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

If I get no reply from the buyer, I’ll do that. Thanks. 

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

One thing I've learned over the years is, don't commence any investigations unless the buyer contacts you, or opens a dispute. Tracking is not always updated to delivered, which can then cause the scenario you have. A buyer will soon let you know if their item hasn't arrived. 

Some buyers can be sneaky and see the tracking hasn't been updated and open a dispute, even though they have the item, but sadly, you can't prove it. I wouldn't even send the buyer a message asking if it has arrived, because it might put ideas into their head about claiming a refund.

I've posted quite a few things where the tracking never said delivered, and never heard from any of the buyers, so I can only assume they received their items. I've only ever had to do one refund for INR, and that was on an untracked item. For all I know, the buyer got it, but I couldn't prove it, so had to refund. It was only $10, so no big issue.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Just to add, eBay tracking is woeful at times, and certainly not accurate.  I lodged a parcel at the PO at around 4.00pm. Aust Post tracking shows correct time etc. EBay tracking on the other hand had tracking showing received by Aust Post at 1.30am!

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Exactly same thing with me. Sendle confirms item is lost so I refund the buyer, and lodge a Sendle claim. Then Sendle delivers and closed the claim.

Ebay absolutely refuse to step in, saying its between me, the buyer and Sendle.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Don't use Sendle.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

UPDATE:

Buyer agrees to pay partial, have a chat session with Sendle who agree to pay the remaining sale amount via free postage labels. Now waiting for payment and free labels to appear in my account.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply