Getting totally scamed thanks to ebays policies always in favour of the buyer

Hi all i have just had a item not described case opened n me which is a total scam and everyone who sells should be worried about this loophole that buyers are starting to use to get free items.

I sold this jerk a old video camera it was sold untested in the parts only option as it had no battery or leads etc.

He received it this morning and claims guess this he received a 35mm film camera instead not the video camera.

For some reason he is either not happy with what he bought or wants to try and get something for free

I know what i sent him was the video camera not a 35mm camera.

I had a look at the guys profile and he looks like a bit of a wheeler and dealer in cameras and i think he is just tring to swap some piece of worthless junk he has lying around he desnt want for what i sold him all at my expense with postage etc.

Thanks to ebays policies dodgy buyers can do this with anything they buy now so pretty much anything you sell your at risk of losing your goods and money from.

I would love to put up the dodgy buyers user name but im not sure if im allowed to.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Others may have more to add to this...

I think there is precious little you can do to protect yourself against this kind of thing.

Some questions...

Did you have one of your listing pics showing the serial number / model plate on the item?

Do you have the item serial number recorded anywhere.

Do you have someone who knows/saw what you packed and sent who would be prepared to sign a stat dec for you?

Did you weigh the package at the time you were ready to send it?

If you do accept (and therefore pay for) the return then make sure you weigh the returned package when you receive it and open it in the presence of a reliable witness who will sign a stat dec if necessary.

If what is returned is not what you sent then get stat decs from your witnesses.

Phone (not email) ebay and speak to a CSR about it. Ask for a supervisor if you get nowhere.

Then lodge a formal case for online fraud with The ACORN.

https://www.acorn.gov.au/

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

your dealing in secondhand goods, something ebay was ideal for, 15 years ago.

was a time buyers of second hand goods had no where to go if the item the bought turns out to be a lemon, no really i think some buyers recieved lemons instead of their item.

how to prove the seller posted the item and not a lemon? well you cant.

same as you cant prove the buyer recieved the lemon and not the item.

ebays answer, give the buyer %100 benefit of the doubt.

give the seller %0 benefit of the doubt.

now the shonky buyer just claims the items not what they bought and ebay gives them their money back.

only thing you can safely sell on ebay now are new in box with factory sealing.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

oh, except for payment on pickup

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Your first step should be to ask the buyer for a photo of what they received.

That may end the dispute before it goes any further if they are trying it on.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

I am assuming you are talking about the Sony Handycam which you sold on the 16/5. You also sold a K1000 35mm camera the same day. Did you get the address on the parcels mixed up by some chance?

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Hi thats exactly what i thought when i first got the news from this dodgy buyer that i may of mixed up i did sell a pentax K1000 and posted them both the same day.

The other buyer of that K1000 received their item last tuesday and havent heard any bad news from them so i assume every things ok there.

So i asked this dodgy buyer <well what is the make and model of this camera you have received?

His reply was a MZ-50 for those who dont know a MZ-50 is a **bleep**py pentax film camera worth about $20 if that

Once i got that mesage from him i knew for certain he is trying to scam me.

Ive asked him a few times now to send a picture which he wont do ive also asked for his phone number so i could talk to him about this which he wont do and now he is even offering to pay the return postage all those are pretty good signs he his trying to pull a scam on me.

The guy is a total creep anyone who wants to know his user name just send me a message and i will be happy to pass it on to you so you can check him out

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

I hope you do better than I did. I sold anot ipad. The buyer opened a case. He gave the wrong address and it did two trips to Sydney from Melbourne. He acted sus so I reported him BEFORE he opened a case. He said the item was broken and returned it. I have since been told by the computer technician that wiped out initially that 1. It's probably not the same one or 2. It is now set up in a different language. The same as the buyer and was used before it was damaged. I sent ebay the info and theyou ruled in the buyers favour. I have spoken to numerous people at eBay including supervisors and have been treated really badly. They have been rude and condescending. I'm really pi....d
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

I would call his bluff and let the buyer know that you need a photo of the item you sent him. Also let him know that you have a record/photos of the make/model and serial number of the video camera and will report it to crime stoppers as a lost/stolen item in the mail. Details including who the item was posted to and the date will be sent to crime stoppers.

Also let him know you have a reciept/record from australia post of the exact weight of the parcel that you sent and that this information will be handed over to the local police/crime stoppers and australia post authorities.

Furthermore he will be required the sign a stat dec, declaring what he received as Australia Post has also begun investigations.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@mreuromarcus wrote:

Ive asked him a few times now to send a picture which he wont do ive also asked for his phone number so i could talk to him about this which he wont do 

Ebay site will give you his phone number.     Just use the link > FIND CONTACT INFORMATION

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/ebayadvsearch?_sofindtype=9

This has a few benefits - (a) you will find out if he has a genuine phone number - if he gives a wrong number ebay will smack him -

and (b) he gets an email from ebay saying you have requested his details - which might give him a fright.

Bad result:  he also finds out your phone no.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply