Global Shipping Program

More a Buying than a Selling issue but, certainly relevant to Sellers hence my decision to post on this board.

Recently bought a couple of items from the US (retro NOS car stereo and a Longines watch for my collection, to satisfy the curious among you).  Both were bought exactly 7 days apart and sent via the GSP.

Car stereo arrived within 16 days with full tracking info faithfully displayed in the tracking tool.

Watch has not yet arrived, though it was the first item purchased, and the tracking tool shows it made it as far as Missisippi (from Chicago) and has stalled there.

Seller has been advised and investigated as much as is possible from his end but, finally exasperated (and worried) has suggested I report to eBay for them to investigate as apparently the GSP is their baby.

Interestingly, in trying to lodge an "INR" all I can do is lodge it through PayPal which directs me back to the Seller again.  Being a somewhat suspicious cove, I've decided not to go down that path just yet as I have a $100.00 note I'm prepared to wager that the Seller will just end up getting stung by PayPal for the value of the item and the postage paid by me rather than there being any real investigation.

Instead I have emailed eBay Cust. Support to report the issue, the fact I can't take up the case with the GSP directly and, as the Seller has helped all he can, the Resolution Centre is effectivley useless.  I've also specifically indicated I require the operators of the GSP to either locate and ship the item or reimburse the value of item and postage and NOT the Seller.

As I said, I'm a somewhat suspicious cove so it'll be interesting to see what happens.  Will the GSP be held liable or will they try and nail the Seller or try and avoid the issue altogether?  

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Global Shipping Program

Try the email link for Pitney Bowes on this page

http://support.pb.com/ekip/index?page=freeform&id=FR194
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

Just hope it doesn't ruin my conspiracy theory though.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

it almost certainly will. Your beef is with the GSP.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

The seller will have full protection if the tracking shows the item was received by Pitney Bowes into the GSP...

-but- opening an INR (if it comes to that) will give them a defect, rather than the company who may actually deserve it. 

I honestly don't know if Pitney Bowes voluntarily issue refunds when enquiries are made regarding lost packages when the tracking has not updated past a certain point, but I have a sneaking suspicion dealing with them could be a bit like getting blood from a stone. 

Edited to add the link to GSP T&C's for buyers, in case it sheds some light on some of your questions: http://pages.ebay.com.au/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

I'll never ever use the GSP again. I buy a ton of stuff and have done for years and the very first time I used the GSP to get something, I never got it. The courier company (FedEx) say they left it outside my door but when I came home that morning it wasn't there. I've never, ever, ever lost a parcel before in all my years of buying off Ebay, Book Depository, M&S, Disney Store, Next, you name it. Neve had one go missing, EVER. But the GSP one disappeared without a trace.

The seller can prove it was delivered, so no refund (or replacement), and the Paypal dispute went in his favour (fair enough, he DID send it). FedEx couldn't give a rats, as they say it's their contract with Ebay to leave parcels anywhere they like and not get a signature. Ebay Australia say becuase it was brought from the US it's a US site problem and Ebay US say because I bought it from an Australian site, it's Ebay Australia's problem. So I didn't get the item and I've lost $40 (plus my son still needs the item - a backpack - so I've now got to buy another one!!).  So it's USPS/Royal Mail for me from now on! I wouldn't touch the GSP again with a barge pole!!!

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

WOW!  Talk about Corporate butt covering! 

the risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall remain with your Seller until the GSP Item is accepted at the U.S. Shipping Center. As between you and Pitney Bowes, risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall transfer to you from Pitney Bowes and/or its third party parcel processing service providers when the GSP Item leaves the U.S. Shipping Center.

.....and I love the loose use of language in this one to cover any vague reason that may be thought of not to deliver something

eBay and Pitney Bowes shall have no liability and shall have, in their discretion and in any manner that they prefer, the right to dispose of or liquidate parcels (and their contents) that eBay or Pitney Bowes conclude are undeliverable, for whatever reason. If eBay or Pitney Bowes conclude that a parcel is undeliverable and elect to dispose of or liquidate a parcel, title to the parcel (and its contents) shall transfer automatically from your Seller to eBay, Pitney Bowes and/or any third party designated by either eBay or Pitney Bowes

I'm gunna have fun with this one.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

@glasscannon1 wrote:

I'm gunna have fun with this one.

Real fun, or 'pulling teeth with rusty pliers' fun? Smiley Surprised

It is a bit "we'll only send you your stuff if we feel like it". o_O  Geez, if I tried to put terms of sale like that in my listings, then actually attempt to enforce them, I don't reckon I'd last very long. 

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

I can see such heavy-handed T&Cs as Pitney-Bowes' being completely illegal in this country so I wonder how they get away with it in the US?
Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

Yes, Fedex will leave the parcel anywhere they like. I have not missed one, out of the few GSP parcels I have had, but I am reluctant to use the service again. Too many chances the item is "lost", "destroyed/liquidated", not covered...

interestingly, the ones that ended up being passed from Fedex to Australia Post, needed a signature.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 10 of 21
Latest reply