Global shipping program is an extraordinary rip off - about 3 times the usual postage rate.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Global shipping program is an extraordinary rip off - about 3 times the usual postage rate.

If you buy a heavier, bulkier item, it actually works out cheaper. 

There are a million threads on this subject, so it's no great revelation. Do what everyone else does, avoid sellers who use it. Or, ask the sellers if they would be willing to post via USPS. A lot of small sellers are happy to do that, but you have to ask before you bid/buy.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

I agree. It is expensive, often poorly repackaged and can take a meandering trip around the US before it even leaves for Aus.

A lot of US sellers do not even realise that they have been opted into the GSP. Those that have opted in often have done so to ensure they have seller protection for PayPal claims.

If you find an item that you want to buy try sending a message to the seller and ask if they'll ship directly to you. If they won't, either risk using the GSP, use a reliable mail forwarding service or look for another seller.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Isn't it just? Smiley Frustrated

I also buy stuff from the UK and it seems eBay/Pitney Bowes have recently rolled it out there as well.  Very bad news!

Over there it's called the 'Global Shipping Programme'. LOL  It's the same old garbage though, once again with sellers being opted in without their knowledge.  I'm keeping an eye on the UK boards on this one.  Hopefully the sellers I occasionally buy collectables from have more sense than to sign up for it (or know how to opt out if they have been 'press ganged' into it).

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply