Global shipping

Why are sellers continuing to use the Global shipping program when it is a blatant rip off and is hurting their prospects of overseas sales? 
I live in Australia and collect a well known English brand product.
Lately, I have been buying less as sellers are sending them by the GSP which charges up to nearly 3 times what the same item would cost via Royal Mail international tracked and signed for air mail. 

For example, I recently looked at a part I needed which weighed only a few grams. The part would have cost me £45 and for it to be sent via GSP would have set me back another £25.92 + an “import charge” of £8.85 bringing the total cost to £79.77

To send it via Royal Mail international tracked would have cost £10.80 and, with the value being under £100, no import charge making the total to me £55.80. 
I have already seen complaints on this forum about Ebay taking a fair amount in fees from seller for the postage and leaving them out of pocket as well. It would seem that the only advantage of the GSP is to Ebay and no one else. 
I hope that more sellers will see the GSP for what it really is and dump it. It would greatly benefit all.

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Global shipping

The GSP is of considerable benefit to sellers,  sellers are only responsible for domestic post to a GSP  distribution point.  All matters relating to international shipping are then the responsibility of the GSP.

Message 2 of 36
Latest reply

Global shipping

To add to what GP has said,

1. eBay will opt sellers into the GSP without their knowledge, so they are likely to be unaware their item is going overseas.

2. If sellers input weight and dimensions of the item the postage usually drops to near normal postage.

3. There's nothing stopping you asking the seller to end the listing and send it via their own county's postal carrier - of course they have every right to not do that, especially if they do not normally post overseas.

4. You are wrong about the 100 pound limit on taxable imports, ALL imports have GST on them up to $1,000 when import duties become payable.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 36
Latest reply

Global shipping

@matthew8455 wrote:

1)   Why are sellers continuing to use the Global shipping program when it is a blatant rip off and is hurting their prospects of overseas sales? 
2)   I live in Australia and collect a well known English brand product.
3)   Lately, I have been buying less as sellers are sending them by the GSP which charges up to nearly 3 times what the same item would cost via Royal Mail international tracked and signed for air mail. 

4)   For example, I recently looked at a part I needed which weighed only a few grams. The part would have cost me £45 and for it to be sent via GSP would have set me back another £25.92 + an “import charge” of £8.85 bringing the total cost to £79.77

5)   To send it via Royal Mail international tracked would have cost £10.80 and, with the value being under £100, no import charge making the total to me £55.80. 
I have already seen complaints on this forum about Ebay taking a fair amount in fees from seller for the postage and leaving them out of pocket as well. It would seem that the only advantage of the GSP is to Ebay and no one else. 
6)   I hope that more sellers will see the GSP for what it really is and dump it. It would greatly benefit all.

I’ve put bold numbers to break your post down into points I will address.

1)   some sellers don’t wish to post overseas.  There have been anecdotes posted on these forums of sellers not even being aware that the items they list are available to overseas buyers.  So, the price of the GSP is of no consequence to sellers who use the service if they were not going to offer their items to overseas buyers.  If an overseas user wants their item then there is a price to be paid.

2)   it is unfortunate that your collection passion can not be satisfied through domestic purchases.

3)   using the GSP gives sellers the gold standard of seller protections.  They are protected against negative feedback for shipping costs, delays in delivery, damages due to packaging, Item Not Received claims and a whole lot more.  This is because their obligation is to ship to Pitney Bowes who fill in customs declarations, collect GST owing, re-pack and ship to the overseas destination.  Once the item is received by PB then the sellers are protected both financially and against most negative feedback.

4)   your £45 item with £25 shipping would incur a £7 Australian GST charge as all overseas purchases are subject to GST regardless of how it is shipped.  The difference between the GST and the “import charges” is the fee (including GST) charged by PB.

5)   you are wrong in saying items under £100 have no import charges.  Low priced items shipped via Royal Mail are still subject to Australian GST on Item price and shipping charge.  The difference between RM and PB is that the GST is collected by eBay at checkout.  So, your £45 item with £10.80 RM would incur a GST charge of £5.58, bringing your total to £61.38.  This is less than the £79.77, but not as great a difference as you have stated.

The advantage in using GSP is shared by both eBay and the seller.

6)   as outlined above, some sellers don’t wish to sell internationally but do so through the GSP.  It would not bother such sellers one bit if their listings did not ave GSP as the listings would not offer international shipping options i.e. they are missing out on nothing.

The inclusion of GSP on their items would allow international bids, which drives up the price of the items eventually won even if by a domestic buyer.  They won’t notice a drop in prices due to GSP, they would see an increase when overseas bidders bid.

Ultimately, you have all the power in any potential transaction.  Don’t like the price under GSP then don’t bid/buy.

Message 4 of 36
Latest reply

Global shipping

further to my previous reply, the total you pay when GSP is used includes the cost of domestic shipping to get the item from the seller to Pitney Bowes.

Message 5 of 36
Latest reply

Global shipping

and before anyone thinks that I am a “GSP apologist”, take a look at:

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/GSP-stupidity-documented-on-this-thread/m-p/1708839#M55075  (But please do not post on that thread as it is old).

There is a post on there that explains the GSP shipping can be high when the seller has not included the dimensions and weight of the item, resulting in the pricing algorithm using an averaging of items listed in the same category.  For the low weight item this means that the price is being determined by higher weight items in the same category (as mentioned by padi).

Message 6 of 36
Latest reply

Global shipping

Hi  k1ooo.  Very well put together post,  I went with my typical short version.

Anyway  I would love some of that GSP  gold standard protection when shipping OS,  as it is my international post is probably on par with GSP costs,  as I only send express with insurance + ebays fee and rounded up to the the next $5  increment.

Have to cover the losses somehow.

Message 7 of 36
Latest reply

Global shipping

@gutterpunkz05 wrote:

Hi  k1ooo.  Very well put together post, 

I messed up GP 'cos I didn't use red crayon like what k1ooo did.......I'll attempt to improve my ways.....

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 36
Latest reply

Global shipping

when I do sell I do not ship overseas.  I use Buy-It-Now, so I do not miss out on sales because of no international buyers.

I would welcome GSP becoming an Aussie thing for Aussie sellers.  The seller protections would make it worthwhile.

Message 9 of 36
Latest reply

Global shipping

It would have been very handy for the last couple of years, since covid  have only shipped  OS by individual arrangement.  If they don't like my terms I am happy to cancel.  Cancelled heaps of sales without attempting to make arrangement with buyers, plainly due to destination.

Message 10 of 36
Latest reply