Google Play Gift Card Scam

Just wanted to warn other sellers about a scam where a buyer makes an offer on an item you are selling, then asks you to contact them outside ebay because they have questions regarding the item or transaction. In my case, they requested I buy a Google Play Card to send along with the item they have made an offer on, supposedly a gift for someone. Offered to pay me extra for helping them out, but when it comes down to it, they ask you to send a copy of the scratched Google Play Card after you have purchased it.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Did you really fall for that?Smiley Surprised

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Why did you not report and block them on the spot?

One of the biggest, most widely known scams going today 

Besides that, even just the wanting you to contact them outside eBay alone is enough

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I've never heard of this scam???

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I did report and block them on the spot.

In all my years buying and selling on ebay, no-one has ever attempted this scam with me, so how would I know about it?

I could find no information in the ebay community about this scam, so forgive me for trying to help and warn others that may not know about it.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Nope, didn't fall for it, but don't want others to, hence the warning.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@sentimentalcellar wrote:

I've never heard of this scam???

Just wanted to warn other sellers about a scam where a buyer makes an offer on an item you are selling, then asks you to contact them outside ebay because they have questions regarding the item or transaction.

That's the first warning making an offer outside of eBay as that means you have no protection if things go wrong.

In my case, they requested I buy a Google Play Card to send along with the item they have made an offer on, supposedly a gift for someone.

Google Play and iTunes cards are non traceable so it's a bonus for any scammer.

Offered to pay me extra for helping them out, but when it comes down to it, they ask you to send a copy of the scratched Google Play Card after you have purchased it.

Offering to pay more is the biggest warning that it's a scam as why would you pay more for an item instead of

just paying the listed price.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply