Has Aus Post Gone Crazy or is it me

It used to cost me $3.60 to send a small item about a month ago.

I looked at the new postage calculator and the cheapest parcel cost is $6.95.

Am i missing something or is that true,is it now double the price?

That means that if i send a small video game that is just a bit bigger than letter requirements which has a max price of $3.00, that i now have to pay a minimum of $7 to send a lousy small video game that weighs less than 500g and over 2cm thick.

I cant ask people to pay that much for postage on such a small item, WTF, its not possible.

$3.60 seemed too high now $7.

I thought Auspost made record profits last year and now this, i thought they were a government business there not to make mega profits, just a resonable return for the gov.

But recently the government lost 17billion dollars in GST revenue because the price of electricity and how it stopped people spending and put the price of goods everywhere up, stopping people spending even more to the tune of $17billion dollars GST TAX LOST.

Now Auspost has put up their prices even more even though they went up recently, which will proberly result in an extra return For auspost of 100million this year extra in profits, But increase in postage prices will result in less spending on internet shops like ebay because postage prices are to high meaning the government will loose about $2billion, $6billion or even $17billion less Gst revenue  from this postal increase.

meaning Auspost gets an extra $100million profit but the government loses billions in gst tax because postage price are unsustainable forcing people to spend less on goods online or buy from overseas which is sometimes free or way cheaper.

a net loss of -$16.900billion in GST by the gov just from Postage price rises alone estimated.

plus what ever Gst is lost because electricity prices are still high and havnt been fixed.

Wow i thought the government knew the 101 basics of economy, Have utilities and service like electricty and postal costs as low as possible to keep a robust strong econmy,high prices of these thing results in what happened with the $17billion dolars lost gst because people just stopped spending. they are putting more and more money into paying bills and not much left to spend on goods and food. fear of the next bill stops spending too.

is the government really this stupid, a Five year old knows that if electricty and other services are to expensive people people have less money to spend on goods. just the fear alone of higher electricty price rises stops people spending.People when they see someone charging $15 to send a  $12 teddybear will not buy it, they will see the cheaper overseas seller offering cheaper post and the gov looses GST.

i predict the imminent collapses of the entire Australian economy if these two things aren't fixed, postage back down and subsidize electricity costs. would the government rather that auspost make $100million dollars extra this year in proffit or loose billions in gst revenue, im not sure its a tough one, loose billions or have a more profitable postal service.

I work in retail so i speak to people and its tough, people are not spending,when i speak to them they tell me they dont have much money to buy things after paying electricity, and now postal costs will stop spending on online products within Australia even more. shops are closing everywhere,look at all the vacant shops at your local shopping centre, its dire.

People will buy things from the US who offer free postage sometimes and the government misses out on GST revenue, how can i as a seller compete against overseas sellers when their postal costs are cheaper than sending an item within Australia, How???????

I hope the economy doesnt collapse but it will unless what every politician is taught from day one, keep services and utilities as cheap as possible,the higher the more likely the economy will grind to a halt because the costs are to high for businesses to sustain,less spending, like how it is in a stalled position right at this very second.

cheers, chris

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

alligator_snapping_turtle
Community Member

I think the answer is YES and NO Austpost has been systematically raising postage every 3 months or so for several years. It was not that long ago that a parcel now costing $6.95 was $3.60. But it has been a few years.

"BITE ME!"
Message 2 of 46
Latest reply

No not a few years ago, about two months ago when i checked the online calculator it showed $3.60, but since the changes recently the $3.60 rate has disapeared overnight.

Message 3 of 46
Latest reply

For me I think its the end of selling smaller items on ebay, i cant sell a retro game like a megadrive game for $5 and charge $7 Postage.

I have trouble selling them now with $3 postage.

These sort of items are just a bit bigger than letter size and miss out on letter prices.

They have royally screwed up the domestic postage system as we know it.

Message 4 of 46
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

My official AP Post Charges booklet (dated 05 November 2012) shows the previous price for a small parcel up to 500g as $6.60

The only thing I can find with a price tag of $3.60 was for medical/educational material being sent to remote areas - special conditions and a defined list of remote postcodes etc

Message 5 of 46
Latest reply

Every 6 months the prices go up and service goes down

Message 6 of 46
Latest reply

Hyperbole. Unassisted by fact.

And nothing to do with eBay.

The cheapest price I have been able to obtain for a 500g satchel has been around $5.50 - but that was early 2009.

Maybe we used a different Australia Post?

Message 7 of 46
Latest reply

djjb12
Community Member

Yes, Australia post has become expensive.  To over come this problem I put 3 or more items together.  So as long as they weight less than 500gm you can use Aus Post Click and send satchel which costs about $7.

Message 8 of 46
Latest reply

It is you. Previously you were obviously sending the items at Letter rates, but now you are seeing Parcel rates. The rule has always been that anything over 20mm thick goes as a parcel, nothing has changed there. And the letter/parcel rates certainly haven't doubled. But I think AP are cracking down on people sending items as letters, when letters are supposed to be just paper.

Message 9 of 46
Latest reply

beach - I was told many years ago that some of my items could be sent as large letters, and this has never changed.  The only service you can't use for anything other than paper is the small EP envelope:-)

Message 10 of 46
Latest reply