Has anyone else had a Trojan on their computer today. I have had approximately 7.

I have had 7 Trojans on my computer today.  When I viewed the security companies discussion site, a high percentage of people affected were saying that they had been on ebay Australia.   One said eBay U.K. had a major problem.  Others who posted on this site also said they had been on Gumtree and yet others said another site which I gathered was not like Gumtree or eBay..  I had earlier downloaded  an e book which was free from an unrelated business  site I regularly go to.  I thought it was that, but after reading the other peoples postings I am not so sure.  Hence my enquiry.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Has anyone else had a Trojan on their computer today. I have had approximately 7.

saarzi
Community Member

Short version -

Its not Ebay. Always use more than two or three virus/malware checkers, they dont all work the same and NONE of them find all issues. Once you know your system is completely clean, change your passwords (email / banking / ebay / everything).

Long version -

Its possible, but, You almost certainly did not get it from Ebay - this is extremely unlikely (a long technical explanation on how Ebays back end works). You could have gotten them from Ebay advertisements that redirect you to other sites, or from a hijacker that makes you think youre on Ebay, or literally a hundred other ways. Some people might say it could be "hitchiking" on Ebay, but that isnt exactly what it sounds like. NONE of these things mean Ebay itself is giving you anything.  Why the semantics?  well where and how youre getting it can determine other issues with your computer, and help you stop getting it again, and tell you what other steps you need to take other than just removing it (sometimes its not that simple).

It could be *activating* when you log into Ebay... This is more likely - there are a few that do this.   If your virus scanner finds the same trojan (or two or whatever) several times when youre on Ebay, its probably because the trojan is already on your system and the checker can only see it when it activates. Logging onto ebay activates it. It also means your checker isnt removing it properly the first time - this is common - use more than one checker. Always.  This doesnt mean Ebay is giving you the virus - its already on your system.  On the other hand, it could have zilch to do with Ebay to begin with.  

If you want to know where / how you got it, and how to avoid getting it again, Start with the basics - what was the NAME of the trojans you both had? (name or file name and pathway helps too). Each one can be quite different. and with the name youll generally know where you probably got it from, how, and what its doing.

Also, If you are only using one virus checker to scan your computer, you almost certainly have other issues (especially if you are using something like Norton or McAfee.. just because the advertising says they are awesome, and you have to pay for them,or some security website says its awesome because they are into affiliate marketing they dont tell you about, doesnt mean they are awesome). NO ONE CHECKER fixes or finds everything - each work in a different way. When I do a full scan my computer, i use 3 - 5 different programs out of a selection of about 8, for different reasons. 

Lastly, if you have had a trojan, and depending on which one etc... then you might need to change all your passwords for everything, including email / ebay / online banking, as soon as possible.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Yes...same thing has been happening to me while trying to list AND same for a friend of mine.

I personally dont think it is anything like a virus in my computer...as my Facebook & other sites are fine.

I think it a problem within Ebay.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

Short version -

Its not Ebay. Always use more than two or three virus/malware checkers, they dont all work the same and NONE of them find all issues. Once you know your system is completely clean, change your passwords (email / banking / ebay / everything).

Long version -

Its possible, but, You almost certainly did not get it from Ebay - this is extremely unlikely (a long technical explanation on how Ebays back end works). You could have gotten them from Ebay advertisements that redirect you to other sites, or from a hijacker that makes you think youre on Ebay, or literally a hundred other ways. Some people might say it could be "hitchiking" on Ebay, but that isnt exactly what it sounds like. NONE of these things mean Ebay itself is giving you anything.  Why the semantics?  well where and how youre getting it can determine other issues with your computer, and help you stop getting it again, and tell you what other steps you need to take other than just removing it (sometimes its not that simple).

It could be *activating* when you log into Ebay... This is more likely - there are a few that do this.   If your virus scanner finds the same trojan (or two or whatever) several times when youre on Ebay, its probably because the trojan is already on your system and the checker can only see it when it activates. Logging onto ebay activates it. It also means your checker isnt removing it properly the first time - this is common - use more than one checker. Always.  This doesnt mean Ebay is giving you the virus - its already on your system.  On the other hand, it could have zilch to do with Ebay to begin with.  

If you want to know where / how you got it, and how to avoid getting it again, Start with the basics - what was the NAME of the trojans you both had? (name or file name and pathway helps too). Each one can be quite different. and with the name youll generally know where you probably got it from, how, and what its doing.

Also, If you are only using one virus checker to scan your computer, you almost certainly have other issues (especially if you are using something like Norton or McAfee.. just because the advertising says they are awesome, and you have to pay for them,or some security website says its awesome because they are into affiliate marketing they dont tell you about, doesnt mean they are awesome). NO ONE CHECKER fixes or finds everything - each work in a different way. When I do a full scan my computer, i use 3 - 5 different programs out of a selection of about 8, for different reasons. 

Lastly, if you have had a trojan, and depending on which one etc... then you might need to change all your passwords for everything, including email / ebay / online banking, as soon as possible.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Thank you so much, your knowledge and explanation has been of great assistance.
Message 4 of 4
Latest reply