Has anyone experienced buyers that bid but don't pay recently. I have had three in this past month.

enuj888
Community Member

I have had three incidents of people placing winning bids but not paying or communicating in this last month. Each time there has been no response when I have sent messages.

If I place an unpaid item case it just holds up my sale. Plus I have no opportunity to place a complaint against their name if the sale is cancelled.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Has anyone experienced buyers that bid but don't pay recently. I have had three in this past month.

You can't place a complaint in any case as eBay only allows sellers to leave positive feedback for buyers

And not opening an unpaid item case allows the fake bidder to get away with their fake bidding 100% scot free as no strike will be recorded against their account (which also means other sellers who have blocks in place to prevent those with strikes from bidding on their items are now exposed to them)

And yes,fake bidders are very very common

Don't straight out cancel as it may be you who ends up with the defect 

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

*And by not opening an unpaid item case it costs you money as you will still be charged the selling fees as eBay consider the item sold,paid for or not 

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Have you got blocks set up ?

That will weed out serial non-payers.

image host
Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

@enuj888 wrote:

I have had three incidents of people placing winning bids but not paying or communicating in this last month. Each time there has been no response when I have sent messages.

If I place an unpaid item case it just holds up my sale. Plus I have no opportunity to place a complaint against their name if the sale is cancelled.

False economy, as the others have virtually said.

Hold up your sale? What sale? You didn't get a sale, you got a trouble maker. A glitch in proceedings.

So what if it takes 8 days with your item off the market. It's a pain but at the end of that time, you can relist & you've given the troublemaker a strike. If all sellers would follow through, then over time, there would be fewer troublemakers who could bid on your things.

Plus you get your fees back, or most of them. What's not to love about that?

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

enuj888
Community Member
Thanks
Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

People are rude and they all do the exact same thing (radio silence). No apology, no nothing. It happens a lot with auctions nowadays, I avoid listing in that format.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

@kitschkoven wrote:

People are rude and they all do the exact same thing (radio silence). No apology, no nothing. It happens a lot with auctions nowadays, I avoid listing in that format.

Maybe it depends on the category. I sell with both auctions and BIN and I couldn't tell you the last time I had a non payer. It would be at least 2 years. I have had some serial pests try to bid or buy but my blocks stop them. The rare non payer that I do get is from a BIN listing, although these days, eBay has forced me into immediate payment for buyers (even though I didn't select that option), which could explain my lack of non payers.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

if you're stuck selling in a category or selling items where you feel the need to have auctions, this is a part of life.

if you can make your items "buy it now" successfully and set it to immediate payment, you'll never have a non-paying buyer/bidder ever again. 

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Same for me here. it's the second time in a little over a week... I'm also shocked to see that these people seem to have 100% positive reviews as a buyer and for over 12 months. is there something I'm doing wrong here? 

It's really frustrating and not sure what the solution is... It's never happened to me before but now seems to happen very often.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply