Have I sent a refund or not?

Hi there, quite confused as I thought I'd refunded a buyer some days ago at the time of cancelling a transaction - but now when I check, Ebay says 'cancel pending' and 'please refund the buyer by July 11'.

I've never processed a refund before but from what I can find online, it seems that when you cancel a transaction ebay automatically refunds the buyer. I also remember taking some step that involved refunding them, and ebay telling me that the refund may take up to 5 days to process. I also can't even see a button anywhere anymore to process a refund.

However I also don't see anything relating to a refund being in process on my PayPal account.

Have no idea if I should now refund them via PayPal - or if the refund may already be in process via ebay. Just confused that it's telling me to refund after I thought I already did.
Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@shoppingbag* wrote:

eBay does not refund automatically if an order is cancelled.

Yes they do.

It is weird if they don't, and the only time I've had an order not refunded when I've cancelled it, is when the buyer never paid but the cancellation process still takes you through the motions of issuing a non-existant refund, so it can get really confusing if you're not familiar with the process.

Not sure why the eBay process didn't initiate a refund in this case - it should have if there were enough funds in there (if not, PayPal will need to draw on your secondary funding source to complete the refund - eg if it was the only payment you received, you don't get the full amount of the money due to PayPals non-refundable fees. But if you issue a refund, the buyer gets 100% of the money back, so you have to make up the rest yourself, if there was less than the full original payment as your balance, this may have caused an issue with eBay's cancellation process).

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

This might seem a silly question, but did the buyer pay, and if they did, what is the status of that transaction in PayPal?
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Find the transaction in your Paypal account and then click the "refund Payment" button. You need to manually do this, eBay does not refund automatically if an order is cancelled.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Hi there thanks for that - yes, they paid and PayPal says "payment received".

There's also a button there to refund the buyer. Was thinking maybe I should refund that way, just don't know whether there's some refund already in progress via ebay
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Oh okay! So confusing, was so sure I had!? That helps though, literally couldn't find anything online telling me that.
Thank you!
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Just refund by clicking the refund button. The only way eBay refunds is if the buyer started a case against you, and you did not respond, and then you would not be getting any further messages from anybody about it. Just click the refund button in Paypal, and you will see all will be fine.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

eBay does not refund automatically if an order is cancelled.

Yes they do.

It is weird if they don't, and the only time I've had an order not refunded when I've cancelled it, is when the buyer never paid but the cancellation process still takes you through the motions of issuing a non-existant refund, so it can get really confusing if you're not familiar with the process.

Not sure why the eBay process didn't initiate a refund in this case - it should have if there were enough funds in there (if not, PayPal will need to draw on your secondary funding source to complete the refund - eg if it was the only payment you received, you don't get the full amount of the money due to PayPals non-refundable fees. But if you issue a refund, the buyer gets 100% of the money back, so you have to make up the rest yourself, if there was less than the full original payment as your balance, this may have caused an issue with eBay's cancellation process).

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks so much for the help!!
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply