Have you got time, each month to check your listings to see if the photos are still there?

The Friday and the weekend before last, I spent about 30 hours going through all my 1450 listings and replacing the photos that eBay have lost, been hacked from eBay or whatever..

Then, today, I read this:

From ecommerce bytes blog 24 July 2018.

eBay said today it is unable to recover sellers' photos it lost in many Good Til Cancelled (GTC) listings. The first incident happened 4 weeks ago, and it occurred AGAIN when GTC listings automatically renewed yesterday.

eBay failed to state in its email to sellers today whether they could expect another such glitch when GTC listings renew automatically next month.

We noted in our follow-up report yesterday that despite apologies from Vice President Bob Kupbens last month, eBay had not provided transparency or compensation to sellers for that bug or others that have plagued its site in recent months. 

In today's email to sellers impacted by the GTC photo bug, eBay said it would compensate them insertion fee credits and provide them with 200 zero insertion fees. Sellers must activate the offer, which they must use by July 28, 2018.

Great, eBay, thanks a lot. 200 listings in exchange for about 30 hours extra work so far.

Even if you have the photos saved somewhere else besides eBay, each item has to be checked to see how many photos remain.

Many of my items, they kept photo 1 and the others have been deleted.
About 50 items, I had to take new photos, another 50 or so, I could find the photos and re upload them.

Does that mean that now, every month, we have to check all our listings to see if the photos are still there?

Sigh, what is wrong with this mob?
Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Have you got time, each month to check your listings to see if the photos are still there?

As stated, it seems to be a GTC issue. I check mine (non-GTC) every four months and I am not losing pics.

Is it only happening on one day of the month? That is what the quote implies. Are the rest okay?

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I sold an item today that had the photos missing from the listing. I know I had a few old listings where the photos had dissapeared, but this was a relatively new listing. Looks like I better check my other listings.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing a similar thing based on your "glitch", but on a couple of occasions, when I go to my orders page, the thumbnail graphic is missing from the display, however, when I click on it, the actual listing looks fine.

It had only happened maybe once in the last 3 years, but in July I've had it happen twice already.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

The whole thing is pretty frustrating and has been going on for years to a lesser or greater degree.

I would have thought a company the size and value of ebay would be keeping multiple backups of ALL data.

It seems though, that in order to keep the corporate bonuses at a satisafctory level, that job falls to us.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

If it helps anyone, I found that if I view the old selling summary, where at the top of the page you have the list of selling reminders, there's currently one that says "Meet photo recommendations for X listings", and they seem to be the ones with missing pics. Could save hours of trawling. 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

They do give compensation, but you have to nag them. Ask them straight out for compensation. I was given either a $50 credit or voucher in each shop. Granted, I didn't ask for compensation for all the shops at the same time, sort of a case of call from one shop, wait a day, change my voice and call from the next shop.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I have had the same gliche when relisting items (only on some). I was not aware of this issue until reading this post.

Fortunately I use the Auctiva website to load so it is an easy fix. Just need to go to Auctive and list from there as all photos are still intact and list as a new listing.

I will be more diligent now when relisting.  

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply