Help with Transaction Problem

diane_k
Community Member

I received a message from a buyer last night saying that the item I shipped to them arrived damaged during shipping. Photos were provided showing the damage to the shipping box and the item's box. The item was a Funko Pop Vinyl figure, highy collectible and sold for $80.00, shipping included. It was wrapped in thick bubble wrap and two air pillows were placed inside the shipping box to ensure it arrived undamaged. I have sold a dozen Pop Vinyl's this way and all the feedback has been very positive as to the packaging and the condition of the items on arrival.

The shipping box was absolutely destroyed, like someone had stood on it. The item's box was also damaged but not the Pop! Vinyl figure.

So, what should I do? The buyer hasn't requested a refund or return but I don't want the risk of negative feedback. Should I offer a full refund after the buyer returns the item, partial refund as it's only the box that's damaged, etc? 

Also, would I be able to get compensation from Australia Post for the damage or would the Buyer have to do that?

This is the first time this has happened to me, so any help would be greatlly appreciated.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

The recipient (the buyer) of goods damaged in post, is the one that needs to present the goods AND all of the packaging for assessment by Australia Post and lodge a compensation claim.

Information below (and other useful information) from Aust Post is at following link http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/compensation.html 

Items received damaged or missing contents

• Present the damaged item and the packaging at a post office for a damage report to be completed. Please note that not all of our post offices are able to complete damage reports. Please ask at your local outlet or look for post offices listed as Post Shops or Business Hubs in our locations and hours tool.
  • Complete a Customer Service Complaint form (available in-store) and leave the form, the item and all packaging with our retail staff for processing.
  • Provide supporting documentation as requested. This may include proof of identity, statutory declaration, postage or point of sale receipts and item details.
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Is this one of those collectible items where "in original packaging" is a value point? If so, a refund may be on the cards. 

Perhaps message the buyer, and enquire as to whether they're seeking a refund or return - they may only have sent the message as a "heads up" to let you know that Aus Post squashed it.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Thank you for that information. I have passed it on to the buyer.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

That's a hard question to answer. The condition of the box is important, but the value is also based on the scarcity of the figure and the figure itself, so I'm not sure how much value you could place on the box alone.  

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Definitely get them to go through Australia Post with a damage report and claim for compensation.

I have also lost out badly recently with a well packed item but the buyer refused to chase it up with AP saying that AP didn't care and blame the seller.

If enough people put these claims in showing how badly items are treated then perhaps AP will do something about it - brief their couriers, improve their transportation services etc.

A well packed item should be able to withstand an acceptable level of handling (the guidelines are on their website) but the evidence from sellers recently seems to suggest that 'due care' is not being applied by AP's carriers.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

ask the buyer if

1) they want to return it for a full refund including postage both ways (the buyer must be made whole, no out of pocket expense)

2) do they want a parcial refund because of inconvienence. then work out a refund your both ok with.

a collector wants as near to perfect as possible item including the box wheras someone just buying it as a gift might be ok with a damaged box if they get it as a bargain because of the damage.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I buy a lot of Pop vinyls & such for my collector daughter. Mint In Mint Box is the usual requirement. Even a small ding on the box or front plastic would make her reject it for her collection. Unboxed is a no-go there zone.

As your buyer has received a flattened box,  then the item is not suitable for their collection. The Austpost problem is not your fault. From your description you have packaged adequately.  I have received similar items with lesser packaging that arrived OK.

Work with your buyer to obtain a refund from Austpost for damage to a well wrapped parcel. This can take some time & effort.

I doubt if a serious collector would accept a partial refund & keep the unboxed item. A serious collector is just that! Items must be Brand New & pristine in box.

I'm so sorry to hear of your problems! I hope all works out well for you! In the circumstance I'd work with the buyer, but you may have to accept a refund as being on the cards; Even though the problem was not of your making!

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Thank You OP for your kind kudo for my post! I'm thinking anyone who pays $80 for a Pop it must be a Limited Edition. I've spent more for most wanted items & will go to the $200 mark if needs be @ auction for mint rarities. (This info for other helpful respondents who don't know the collectable market for these type of items)

It's so sad to think that some silly AP employee has ruined a collectable item for no reason! 

I usually sell glassware & "touch wood" all have arrived intact due to very careful packaging. 

The way you describe your packing I'd really have a go @ Auspost! I've bought Pops from Aust  Europe & USA that arrived intact with lesser packaging than you described!  It seems your buyer will help with pics; But bottom line is the item is "Not As Described" Though not your fault on that! 

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

If by air pillow you mean one of those little bags full of air, they're pretty useless.  I've had them in a few parcels I've received and it's rare that they arrive with air still in them.  That means they either slowly deflate or they deflate after the first knock, and that means if there's another knock or jolt there's no cushioning in the box.  To me that means they were inadequately packed. 

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply