Help with a Paypal question

If I send a Paypal invoice in USA dollars, when the recipient pays in US dollars does it go into my account as AUS dollars - as I'm in Aust?

Sorry if it's a dumb question but I've never sent an invoice to an overseas recipient.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Have you listed in AU$ or US$?

The ebay invoice will be sent in the currency of the site on which you listed and the buyer pays in that currency.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

If you are sending a direct invoice via PayPal, so not through eBay's system at all, it will depend on whether you have your account set up to hold USD (most accounts do by default, and you can add additional currencies, or remove them).

If you can hold a USD balance, it will go to that and you can convert it within PayPal at any time (there are fees for doing so, but you can also use it to pay for things in USD without any conversion fees). If your account doesn't have it set up to hold US currency, it will automatically convert to AUD (this incurs additional fees - the buyer pays those conversion fees as part of the currency exchange if you invoice in AUD).

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Thank you for the info - I was hoping you would reply as your advice is always accurate & spot on!!

It is for an invoice I'm sending through Paypal, so wasn't sure how to go about it with the foreign currency.

Once again, thank you!

Lynne

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks for answering - I should have been clearer in my question.

It's for an invoice I'm sending through Paypal.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Lynne

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I would have thought you would just send the invoice in Aust dollars - and when they get it - it has been converted to Us -

But definitely when they pay, paypal convert it back to Aust, that's what paypal do.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

The invoice I'm sending is not to an Ebay or Paypal user, so Paypal will only have an email address - how do they know it's going to the USA & to convert to US dollars?

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

You're right,  you probably  do have to use the conversion currency calculator available on paypal to send an invoice.     

I was going by this at first:

Transactions can be made in all currencies that PayPal supports, not just USD. For transactions not in USD, PayPal will automatically convert the transaction amount to USD at checkout. Currency conversion charges will apply as set out in your PayPal User Agreement.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Just a follow up for anyone interested in my original query.

I ended up just sending a request for money in Aust dollars to my USA person, as I wanted my funds in Aust dollars.

He paid & in it went to my Paypal account in Aust dollars (also shows a US dollar amount if I want to pay something in US dollars).

Quick & simple & no conversion worries for me if I tried to bill in US dollars.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Lynne

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply