Hi, any recommendations on a good book to learn the ins and outs of the ebay site (for a seller)

Hi, I have been on ebay a while now but would like to learn more about the settings on my account and how to use them to get my account working to its best ability. Can anyone recommend a book on ebay selling?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Hi, any recommendations on a good book to learn the ins and outs of the ebay site (for a seller)

You have been a member of eBay for 13 years. Why the sudden interest?

If it is because your sales have recently tanked, it could well be because of the pandemic thingy. Although they seem to be rocking on at least as well as your history would suggest.

I would suggest reading eBay announcements and the boards. At least this one.

The only book I know of was published decades ago and related to dropshipping.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

The main issue with something like this is that by the time a book has been out for a couple of months, it's likely to contain out of date information, and instructions that can't be followed because ebay's changed or moved something.

If it was something like an ebook, it would require constant updating and even the most diligent and dedicated author will eventually give up, I'd say.

You're better off finding a blog, vlog, social media group or forum dedicated to selling on eBay - from what I've seen, the first two don't tend to be particularly technically-focused, though you'll find eBay tutorials for very specific functions (some osolete, some not) on YouTube, but mostly they tend to be more theoretical, motivational, "storytime", opinion / rants, with the occasional vague sourcing tip thrown in. 

Community-based resources like social media groups and forums tend to be much like this one is... Someone posts a query, hopefully someone else can answer it..... and with theory, "storytime", opinion / rants and lots of vague references thrown in. 

Peronsally, when it comes to account functions, I like to click on everything to see where it goes or what it does, if it looks like it will change something about how my store or account works, then I look for a "more info" link. With many functions, it's less getting the account to work to the best of its ability, and more finding out what settings there are, and then deciding which options best suit your business.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

As mentioned youtube is a good place to find some information.

Do you have any settings in particular you are interested in.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

There is actually a few books on eBay tips and tricks.  The best takeaway we had from one book was opening a second eBay account and a second PayPal account in the event you get closed down for some stupid unexpected mistake or error by the powers that be.

You might not find those titles on Amazon though !

There is also an eBay users forum in the USA run separately to eBay but it's very American centric.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply