Hi there, Can someone from ebay please tell me why my sales are down this past month.

Seems to be a regular thing from reading other peoples messages.   My question to ebay is why have my sales stopped?    I've increased my listings (though I hear that doesn't matter).     It's becoming a real struggle and frustrating when I put so much time and effort into my shop.   Can someone give me an answer please. 

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Hi there, Can someone from ebay please tell me why my sales are down this past month.

Nobody from eBay can give you an eBay answer unless you contact them

No eBay staff read this member to member forum

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Although sometimes miracles happen (see post #23 in this thread), as a rule eBay staff don't read here, or if they do, they don't react.

Many people are saving for Christmas at the moment, and with prices going up and up (because of COVID and then also because of the floods), it is not easy, so they might postpone buying certain items.

I am not a seller, but I think sellers can pay something to have their items sponsored/promoted. As I am not a seller, I don't know if it is worth it, but I can say that, unfortunately, many of my favourite/saved sellers - small sellers who don't pay to promote their items - have disappeared from my feed, and I have to go to their pages myself to see if they have new items.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

You're selling discretionary items, not necessities.

As mentioned, half the country (population-wise) has been flooded in the last few months and Christmas is coming.

Also the Black Friday fortnight and Cyber Monday (week?) will have meant funds are held to take advantage of the consequent discounts.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

As a rule of thumb for every hundred listings you should look to get one sale a day. Clothing sometimes less than this. Not everything sells so having more listings will help as long as it is something that sells and your price is competitive. Many will say clothing is a saturated market but then everyone buys it you just need to learn what sells.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

No one from ebay will tell you, especially on a public forum.

Even if ebay does put the brakes on sometimes (which some past sellers have suggested), they would be unlikely to admit to it even in private.

I personally have no idea why your sales have slumped. I am just a buyer, but here are some of my ideas. I had a quick look at your listings and a lot of them seem to be for clothes.

Nothing wrong with that, mind you.

There was a time when I would look on ebay at the clothes and sometimes buy but that time was years ago. There were some brands I liked.

You are up against the fact most brands have their own websites these days and often they have clearance items or special sales.

Just last night I was looking at a frock that was $19.99, down from about $159. Unfortunately only left in size 6 which would be way too small for me.

But that is the sort of thing you are up against. It's a tough market and you're selling mostly second hand, whereas the other sales sites are new. That may not stop someone buying for themselves but they aren't likely to buy from you for Christmas presents, which is where people's minds are heading at the moment. That could explain some of the present slump.

Also, things are hard for a lot of people. Rising interest rates and prices are pushing a lot of people to the wall financially. Money is tight.

This next is a personal opinion-I think a lot of people still use ebay but it is not a 'go to' the way it once was, especially with young people. And I am sure some categories of items sell better than others. Do you sell kids clothing? Good brands in that category might sell.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

I would agree clothing sellers at the moment are up against large retailers clearing out items at 80-90% off.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply