High number of views repels sales?

I've had a few things on here for yonks and they're not selling. I think similar items have been bought through other sellers though. (Like a Pyrex bowl I have up)

Some of these things have hundreds of views. Thinking I should end and relist those? Maybe all the views are turning people off, maybe they think something's wrong with the item which is why no-one's bought it. (And yes it also may also be carp nobody wants)

I put some new stuff up last weekend and that's the stuff that seems to be selling. Hmm.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If it is the Town and Country large bowl it is not surprising that it is not selling.

I am a buyer of Pyrex ware and love the colours but would give your item a miss for the following reasons.........

The bowl is overpriced in my opinion and the postage is very high.   I would not trust a Pyrex item in a satchel, no matter how well packed it is, especially when I have paid top dollar for it.

You mention some scratches on it and say they are pictured.....there is only one picture in the listing and it is not close enough to show scratches.  Again coming back to the price, I would be loath to take your word for the condition without seeing the close up photos.

It might be a good idea to relist but think about the price and packaging before you do so.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Like Lyndal, I noticed the pyrex listing only had one photo.

Speaking personally, the number of views would have no effect on me as a buyer. It certainly would not repel me. If anything it would just indicate that this is an item that a lot of people have been interested in enough to have a look at.

The things that influence me most to buy something on ebay would be

-if it is something I want (the pivotal point)

-if it looks to be in good condition (so description & photos would be important)

-total price

I also prefer to buy Australian items and from someone with reasonable feedback (though it certainly doesn't have to be 100%).

Just as an aside, your pyrex ad made me give a sort of sad, ironic smile.  Obviously they are a bit of a collector's item? A while back my sister & I had a garage sale to clear out things from our parents' estate. There was a big pyrex baking dish  from the 1960s as far as I can recollect. Beautiful spotless condition , asking $5 for it and one woman just said $2 and went to take it and  got quite stroppy when I said "No, $3."  She eventually paid $3 but with such extremely bad grace, it made me wish i hadn't even  gone down to $3. Now I defitely wish I hadn't!Smiley Happy Should have kept it for myself.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@kitschkoven wrote:

Some of these things have hundreds of views. Thinking I should end and relist those? Maybe all the views are turning people off, maybe they think something's wrong with the item which is why no-one's bought it. (And yes it also may also be carp nobody wants)

No one but you can see the amount of views on the item,(that option was removed years ago).

There may be a lot of people that have the same or similar bowl sitting at home in the cupboard and checked

yours to see if theirs is saleable,(if you have a number of watchers they could be there for the same reason).

Some will also check stuff to see if they really want it or not and then decide not,(I do that with a number of

items based on price and condition and those that I think I might want go on my watch list).

My watched items can be on that list for weeks before I'll decide if I want them,can afford them or don't really

need them,blush-1.gif

I put some new stuff up last weekend and that's the stuff that seems to be selling. Hmm.

Newer listed stuff seems to always get a boost in views and sales.

I haven't relisted the stuff that I had listed for a while and kept relisting and I'll probably relist them this

weekend but some will be listed using the similar option so it comes up as a new item.

We have a storage box full of Pyrex stuff and it will probably be listed on FB or on here but as pick up only,

(high postage prices will always stop me buying an item as I only look at total price and it can be why people

view only as they may only look at the price only when they first click on an item).

So for your dish I would be looking at $50 and to me that puts the price to high.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

There is no rhyme or reason as to why something sells or doesn't. I have found it to be really crazy.  Scenario: two identical items for sale, one for $5 one for $100, similar postage, Different Sellers, feedback for both is similar. someone buys the $100 one with one bad photo, while the $5 one had several great clear photos. I am totally serious here, I have seen similar things to this over and over. If I want something I check out everyone that is selling it and comare prices, but obviously there are people out there who don't.  I have also seen things that sell for the most outrageous prices. I really wouldn't have the nerve to dare ask that much for the same item, yet sellers do and buyers buy. There is one Seller in particular who is always far above everyone else for the same item (extremely so) they would list an item for $175 say, that I know is worth only $30 because I happen to have one also. I used to think "do they ever sell ANYTHING"  so I watched, and lo and behold, every now and then they do!  So, long ago, I gave up trying to work out the madness,and the crazy things I see on here. I often shake my head in disbelief and just move on!

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

I have no experience selling Pyrex but other sellers have high postage too. Fair enough though, thanks for your feedback. Maybe I should do 'local pickup only', a few people do that too.
The scratches are very hard to photograph. Maybe they're not scratched enough to even worry about in that case? But then we have that 'if you don't describe it extremely accurately it could come back as INAD' problem.
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Only one photo? Hmm... I put up about 6. I will have to check that. Thanks for letting me know.

Yes Pyrex are quite collectable these days. There are some pieces that fetch hundreds of dollars. That was very rude of that lady at the garage sale. Last time I had one I couldn't believe how rude people were. Would have been particularly upsetting for you since it had a family connection there (your parents' estate)
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Yes, postage on Pyrex can be quite expensive...it is very heavy glass.

But the point I was trying to make is that no matter how well you pack it a satchel is not suitable for Pyrex.....it needs to be a well padded box.

Yes, scratches are hard to photograph but if you at least make the effort buyers will feel happier that you have nothing to hide.  They are more likely to be suspicious if you say to "see photographs" and there is no photograph.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks for the tips, really appreciate it. Yes postage is quite prohibitive. I'm quite loath to send such things in the mail anyway in case they break.
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Haha yes I've seen that too, it's crazy that buyers don't seem to check prices (or anything!). Ah well the seller's gain I guess. But they have to pay higher FVFs haha, so there's that.
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply