How are sellers posting big heavy items so cheaply ?

Ok so im lookng at seling some products on ebay and trying to work out if its worth it. 

However i cant seem to get a handle on the postage. These items come in their own boxes and are about 80x70x40cm and weigh 15kg. 

Now according to Auspost calculator these would cost me $74 to send from Melb to Sydney and $135 to Perth, meaning they just arent even close to sellable at a profit.

The thing is when i look in ebay there are items like bench presses and ab machines which would be similar or larger boxes  and they are selling $50 or less with free postage or a $12 to $15 flat rate. 

what am i missing here ? 

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Where are the items located?

If they are coming from China then that could be your answer.....the Chinese government subsidises postage for overseas sales.

If they are located in Australia the sellers could have contracts with Australia Post or couriers/freight companies.   If they are large volume sellers they may be on very good contracts.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Aus Post have many restrictions on size, weight, content, etc. For that reason I sell larger, heavier, (or items that AP restrict for whatever reason), on other sites where little or no fees are charged.

I state in the listing that delivery will be by a courier of the buyer's choice, & at the buyers cost...or pick-up. If asked, I give the reason/s that postage is not an option.

There are quite a few items AP don't allow to be sent by normal post, sometims (eg), because of airline restrictions.  

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

lyndal1838 wrote: 

If they are located in Australia the sellers could have contracts with Australia Post or couriers/freight companies.   If they are large volume sellers they may be on very good contracts.

Sendle.com is a cheaper alternative to AusPost when sending a large and heavy parcel interstate. I have sent and received with them more than a few times and can only recommend them.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Sendle is a courier broker.....I have already suggested that sellers can have very good contract rates when dealing in bulk with Australia Post or courier companies.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@thefurn15 wrote:

Ok so im lookng at seling some products on ebay and trying to work out if its worth it. 

However i cant seem to get a handle on the postage. These items come in their own boxes and are about 80x70x40cm and weigh 15kg. 

what am i missing here ? 

If it comes via Australia Post it must be eParcel. 22kg maximum for actual weight or 60 kg maximum for cubic weight.

However it won't be that cheap.   A 80x70x40cm box with actual weight of  15k has 56 kg cubic weight. will cost about $55 via eParcel from Brisbane to Sydney.

If it is done over a counter they won't accept it at all as it is over 22kg in cubic.

And that's the lowest level for ePArcel with 1000 parcels per year. At the top level( I beliveeve over 10 000 a year) it can be cheaper but I do not think it will be $12-15.

Couriers may be the answer for $12-15 flat rate but I do not think any courier will deliver  15kg actual and 55kg cubic box from Melbourne to Sydney for $15

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply