How can I add subcategories to listed items in my store?

I would like to create and add size subcategories to my listed items in my store. I have tried but can't seem to do it. Does anyone know how this is done?
Thanks very much
Ks
Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

If you mean you want to add subcategories to you categories you already have it's easy.

Go to manage store from the left hand menu select store categories it will bring up a list of your existing categories (level 1)

Just click on the category you wish to add sub cats (level 2) to then over on the RH side of page click on add categories. It will bring up many boxes for you to add sub cats. Save them.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Once you have added the categories you should be able edit your already listed items to move them into the sub categories

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

if you're using TurboLister you will need to synchronize[sic] to get the new subcategories showing there.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for that, I tried and got this message:

"You are trying to add subcategories into a category that contains listings. Listings and categories cannot appear at the same level within a category."
Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
Ks

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

The error message comes up if you have listings within a category and try to add a sub-category at the same level as the listings.

At what level are you trying to add the Size subcategories?

In the Clothing category (level 1) you have subcategories (level 2) Coats, Dresses, Jeans etc. Are all of your items listed within those level 2 subcategories? If they are, you can create the Size subcategories (level 2) directly within the Clothing category.

Store

> Clothing

>> Coats

>> Dresses

>> Jeans

>> Size S

>> Size M

>> Size L

If you want to create Size subcategories (level 3) within your level 2 categories you can add the subcategories and the listings will be automatically moved into an 'Other' subcategory. Depending on how many listings you have the transfer can take a while. Then you'll need to use Bulk Edit to move them from Other into their correct Size subcategories.

Store

> Clothing

>> Coats

>>> Size S

>>> Size M

>>> Size L

>> Dresses

>>> Size S

>>> Size M

>>> Size L

>> Jeans

>>> Size S

>>> Size M

>>> Size L

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for that, I was clearly doing something wrong, I ended up creating a temporary store category, moving all of my listings out of my store category for women's clothes into the temp one, created the sub categories within the women's clothes store category and then moved them via edit into the newly created store categories. Perhaps once you have created a store category yourself you can't create a subcategory if there is something listed there ...
Thanks for the help everyone!
Ks
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply