How can I find out if the buyer send the money on my pay pal account ?

I am selling on ebay an used portable air conditioner, (141479591689)

The buyer looked suspicious to me as he asked me to stop the listing an give the item to him, then asked me my address.

I did not agree with him but next day the listing was ended and looks like I DID IT which I Didn't.

So I was a bit concerned that the listing was ended without my permision and I asked ebay for help.

Ebay representative told me that it looks like  I ended up the auction and said to continue to communicate with the buyer.

The buyer inisted to give him the addres and will pay on pickup as he cannot pay by pay pal because he has no good connection to the internet  and continued to ask me for my residential address.

I told him to pay by PAY PAL and after that I'll tell him the address to pickup the air conditioner.

Now he told me that he send me the money by pay pal.

I do not want to give him my residentall address until I make sure he or she is a genuine buyer.

Can someone help please ?

This is the first time I sell something on ebay.

Thanks

Sorin 1950

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Cash on pick up is much better & there are no PayPal fees.There is no buyer protection with PayPal on a pick item anyway.It is much easier to get the buyer to inspect & pay $.

You should have got an eBay email saying that your item sold & it will have the buyer's details on it.Look at their feedback left for others to see if there are any negs or nasty comms lft for other sellers to see if you have anything obvious to worry about.

If the item is paid with PayPal,there will be a blue dollar sign next to it in Sold section.I've read that you may need to put up a fake tracking number to avoid eBay hassling you to send the item. if it wasn't listed as a pick up only item.Do this after the buyer has picked up & tell him to disregard the dodgy tracking number.I may have this bit wrong so some other poster may correct me on this but no need to worry about this issue just yet.

If you are worried about a stranger at your house,have someone be there with you when the buyer picks up your item.Try to get a definite day & time for the pick up.If they don't within a reasonable time,do an unpaid item dispute & put them on your blocked Buyer List.You will find this in Site Preferences.Oh i just see that you think the buyer paid by PayPal,check the blue dollar sign & email anyway to be sure.

Don't stress,buyer is probably not a serial killer,they just want an aircon cos it's Summer.eBay is scarier than any buyer anyway Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

You should receive an email from paypal saying they have paid. I would be checking your paypal account.

Me personally, would not be giving my address out to them unless you have confirmation that they have paid. its a bit strange though, that your listing ended without you doing it. You would have also received an email from ebay saying that you ended your item. I would be calling ebay and asking "what the...."

If you do end up giving your address, I agree, make sure you have someone there with you. Better to be safe than sorry.
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

@sorin1950 wrote:

I am selling on ebay an used portable air conditioner, (141479591689)

The buyer looked suspicious to me as he asked me to stop the listing an give the item to him, then asked me my address.

I did not agree with him but next day the listing was ended and looks like I DID IT which I Didn't.

So I was a bit concerned that the listing was ended without my permision and I asked ebay for help.

Ebay representative told me that it looks like  I ended up the auction and said to continue to communicate with the buyer.

The buyer inisted to give him the addres and will pay on pickup as he cannot pay by pay pal because he has no good connection to the internet  and continued to ask me for my residential address.

I told him to pay by PAY PAL and after that I'll tell him the address to pickup the air conditioner.

Now he told me that he send me the money by pay pal.

I do not want to give him my residentall address until I make sure he or she is a genuine buyer.

Can someone help please ?

This is the first time I sell something on ebay.

Thanks

Sorin 1950

Your listing was a pick up item although you did offer Cash On Delivery.....so which was it ?

If it was pick up only then of course the buyer would need your address.

If I was the winning bidder I would have held you to delivering the item to me as you offered Cash On Delivery.

As the other posters stated their is no Pay Pal protection for pick up items.

Your auction ended after a seven day listing when it sold to the highest bidder.

Before you buy/sell any more items suggest you study the Site Map at bottom of any page & read ALL about buying/selling on Ebay.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

You are far better accepting cash for pick up items. If the buyer pays with PayPal, once they leave with the item, they can then do a chargeback if they paid using a credit card. They can also open a dispute for item not received and get a full refund from PayPal. In those 2 scenario's, you have lost both the item and the money and there is nothing you can do about it as paying via PayPal for pick up items offers no protection.

It looks like you have ended the auction early and you would have known you'd done it as there is a process to follow. Your 0 feedback buyer seems to bid on a few air conditioners!

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

The COD (Cash on Delivery) option on eBay refers to an Australia Post service... where the parcel is sent to the recipient (by Australia Post)  at no cost to the sender and the recepient pays the postage costs and a fee for the service when they pick the parcel up from their nearest Post Office.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

The Portable Air Conditioner was sold on 25 Nov - total of 19 bids

The buyer contacting you must be the person who won the auction, now he does need to know your address so he can inspect it, pay for it and take it home.

Paypal or cash it's up to you. Paypal offers no protection for buyers or sellers. Probably better to let the buyer inspect the item and pay cash for it if he is satisfied that it is as described.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Log in to your paypal account and see if the buyers fund's are in there. You should also receive an email.

Be aware of new eBay/Paypal terms and conditons for new sellers - Paypal can hold a payment made to a seller for up to 21 days.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Oh i see why you may be worried.It was about 3am when i saw this thread & was too tired to look at the item number posted.

The 0fb newby bid on other aircons & given that the bids were in green  they probably won all 3 at auction.

You listed as a pick up item with the COD option i gather you meant cash on pick up.At some point you need to arrange a pick up time & give the buyer your address or you will get an annoyed buyer who gives you a neg.A seller who wont hand out their address for a pick up item may look suspicious to the buyer.

Newby seller & newby buyer,could get interesting in a bad way if you don't quickly work out how a sale is meant to work.

Anyhoo,you are the seller so you are expected to take the lead in this transaction.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

5kazam
Community Member

I don't know what day you listed - but it does say 'This listing was ended by the seller because the item sold', so I guess you must have been the one to do it.

One further bit of advice on top of everything posted above - make sure you write down the car registration number on your copy of the receipt when the buyer does come to collect, so that if you have any concerns down the track he/she is at least traceable.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply