How can a buyer request a total for one item?

I have a buyer requesting a total for one item, claiming they are buying two items (different items, not two of the same) and are requesting a total. Seeing as eBay sends all single sales straight to the payment page, how is this possible? I am waiting payment on this one item.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Maybe they have the second item in their cart but haven't committed to buy.

Or perhaps they have bought the second item from another seller and think both are from you - don't laugh, it happened to us and the buyer sent us all the item numbers, which we very quickly discovered were all from another seller.
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

@wide-world-of-stamps wrote:

Or perhaps they have bought the second item from another seller and think both are from you - don't laugh, it happened to us and the buyer sent us all the item numbers, which we very quickly discovered were all from another seller.

Nothing would surprise me. I once had a buyer complain I had not sent their item, which was still for sale and not sold to them or anyone else. Thanks for the information on your incident.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

@wide-world-of-stamps wrote:

I had the same thing happen a few days ago. The buyer messaged asking if I would combine postage on one of my items and one from another seller. I offered free them postage on the item they had enquired about and they purchased it without any further problems. I only paid $2 for the item and it sold for $60, so I could afford to take the haircut.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Are they a long-time member? I often got buyers who had been on eBay for a loooong time request invoices for single items as they seemed to be under the impression an item can't be paid for until invoiced (this likely would have been the case back when sellers could list items without entering postage costs). It hasn't happened for a while now, but there might be a few old-school eBayers who still have this impression.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply